|Directed by||Raj Kapoor|
|Produced by||Raj Kapoor|
|Written by||Kamna Chandra
|Editing by||Raj Kapoor|
|Distributed by||R.K. Films Pvt. Ltd.|
|Release dates||31 July 1982|
|Running time||183 mins|
Prem Rog (English: Love Sickness)is 1982 romantic Bollywood film directed by Raj Kapoor. The film tells the story of a man's love towards a woman who is a widow and of a higher status. In one of the songs, he sings that he is "prem rogi" ("love sick"). The film is considered a classic work by the director Raj Kapoor and became a silver jubilee blockbuster. Raj Kapoor returned to social themes with this film. The film earned high critical acclaim. The screenplay was written by Kamna Chandra.
Devdhar (Rishi Kapoor) is a poor orphan who in his childhood had a magnetic friendship with Manorama (Padmini Kolhapure), the only daughter of the rich and powerful Thakur. The benevolent Thakur helped Devdhar go to the city for higher studies. After eight years, Devdhar returns to his village, where he finds Manorama has grown up. After seeing her again, Devdhar falls in love. Due to family status difference, he is unable to express his love for her.
A chain of events leads to Manorama being married to a rich and handsome Thakur; her husband dies the day after the marriage and she becomes a widow. After her elder brother-in-law attempts to rape her, she returns to her parental home. When Devdhar learns of the situation, he works to rebuild Manorama's life and bring a smile to her face. Devdhar is determined to revive her faith in life and love. In doing so, he eventually has to face the wrath of the powerful Thakurs, armed with age-old traditions and customs in their favor.
Prem Rog was listed by Cosmopolitan magazine as one of their top ten 'Most Romantic Films Ever'.
- Rishi Kapoor - Devdhar (Dev)
- Padmini Kolhapure - Manorama (Rama)
- Shammi Kapoor - Bade Raja Thakur
- Nanda - Chhoti Maa
- Tanuja - Raj Rani Pratap Singh
- Vijayendra Ghatge - Kumar Narendra Pratap Singh
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda - Virendra Singh Vir Singh
- Bindu - Chamiya
- Sushma Seth - Badi Maa
- Raza Murad - Raja Virendra Pratap Singh
- Om Prakash - Panditji
|1||"Main Hoon Prem Rogi"||Suresh Wadkar|
|2||"Yeh Pyar Tha Ya Kuchh Aur Tha"||Sudha Malhotra, Anwar|
|3||"Yeh Galiyan Yeh Chaubara"||Lata Mangeshkar|
|4||"Mohabbat Hai Kya Cheez"||Suresh Wadkar, Lata Mangeshkar|
|5||"Meri Qismat Men Tu Nahin Shayad"||Suresh Wadkar, Lata Mangeshkar|
|6||"Bhanware Ne Khilaya Phool"||Suresh Wadkar, Lata Mangeshkar|
1983 Filmfare Awards And Nominations
- Best Director — Raj Kapoor
- Best Actress — Padmini Kolhapure
- Best Editor — Raj Kapoor
- Best Lyricist — Santosh Anand for the song "Mohabbat Hai Kya Cheez"
- Filmfare Nomination for Best Film
- Filmfare Nomination for Best Actor — Rishi Kapoor
- Filmfare Nomination for Best Supporting Actress — Nanda
- Filmfare Nomination for Best Story— Kamna Chandra
- Filmfare Nomination for Best Music— Laxmikant-Pyarelal
- Filmfare Nomination for Best Lyricist— Amir Qazalbash for the song "Meri Kismat"
- Filmfare Nomination for Best Male Playback Singer— Suresh Wadkar for the song "Meri Kismat Tu"
- Filmfare Nomination for Best Male Playback Singer— Suresh Wadkar for the song "Main Hoon Prem Rogi"