Prem Shankar Jha
'Bold text''Italic text''
|Prem Shankar Jha|
|Born||22 December 1938
|Occupation||Newspaper editor, author and columnist|
Prem Shankar Jha born 22 December 1938 is an author and columnist with several newspapers in India.
In 1961, he joined the United Nations where he spent a year in the Statistical office of the Department of Economic and Social affairs, and four years with the United Nations Development Programme. In the ESA he prepared the first international comparison of GDP and per capita income in US dollars , for the years 1958 to 1961. This table became a part of the annual UN Yearbook of National Accounts Statistics. He spent one of his four years with the UNDP as a special assistant to its first Adminisrator, Mr. Paul G. Hoffman in New York, and the remaining three as the Assistant Resident Representative at the UNDP office in Damascus, Syria.
In 1966 Jha returned to India and joined the New Delhi - based daily news paper, the Hindustan Times as an editoriial writer and columnist. In 1969 he moved to India's premier daily, the Times of India, where he was editor of the sunday paper, and leader writer and columnist,for the next ten years. After brief stints as the deputy editor of The Economic Times and editor of the Financial Express he returned to the Times of India in 1981 as its economic editor. In 1986 he left the Times of India to become the Editor of the Hindustan Times.In May 1987 Jha resigned from the editorship of the paper owing to differences with the management on the contents of the paper. In 1990 he served as the information advisor to the Prime Minister of India, V.P. Singh.Harvard in 2006-7. From 1996-2000 he was a visiting and then adjunct professor for one semester a year at the Universities of Virginia , and Richmond. In 2007-8 he was the first professeur-invite to hold the chair of the Indian political-economy, at Sciences-Po , Paris.
He is an author of the following books.
- India : A Political Economy of Stagnation (1980).
- Management of Public Enterprises in Developing Asian Countries: The UN Asian and Pacific Development Administration Centre. (1980).
- In the Eye of the Cyclone: The crisis in Indian Democracy. (1993).
- Kashmir 1947: Rival versions of History (1996).
- A Jobless Future: Political causes of Economic crisis (in India) (2002).
- The Perilous Road to the Market: The Political economy of reform in Russia, China and India. (2002).
- Kashmir 1947: the Origins of a dispute (2003).
- The End of Saddam Hussein's Iraq – History through the Eyes of the Victim (2003).
- Twilight of the Nation State: Globalisation, Chaos, and War (2006).
Maged Chaos: the Fragility of the Chinese Miracle, 2009.
- Crouching Dragon, Hidden Tiger: Can China and India Dominate the West? (2010).also published as
- India & China: The Battle Between Soft And Hard Power (2010).