Prem Shankar Jha
|Prem Shankar Jha|
|Born||22 December 1938
|Occupation||Newspaper Editor, Author and Columnist|
Jha was born and brought up in Darbhanga, Bihar and was educated at The Doon School and received a Masters of Arts Degree from University of Oxford in philosophy, politics and economics at Nuffield College, Oxford.
In 1961, he joined the United Nations where he spent five years in the United Nations Development Programme UNDP. He spent two of these five years in New York as a special assistant to the managing director of the Special Fund Mr. Paul G. Hoffman who was the first administrator of the UNDP. The remaining three were spent in Damascus, Syria.
In 1966 Jha joined the Hindustan Times as an assistant editor, in 1969 he moved to the Times of India, where he was the deputy editor of The Economic Times. He then joined the Financial Express as its editor before moving back to the Times of India in 1981 as its economic editor. In 1986 he re-joined the Hindustan Times as its editor.
The World Bank appointed him as a consultant in 1978 to prepare a report on the public sector in India. In 1977 the Asia and Pacific Development Administration Centre of the UN in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia gave him the project of preparing a manual for use by public sector managers for operation and evaluation of projects.
Jha was a member of the Indian National Commission for UNESCO in 1975-1977 and in 1976 he was a delegate to the 63rd Session of the Indian Science Congress Association, Waltaire. In 1990 he served as the information advisor to the Prime Minister of India, V.P. Singh. Jha has also been a visiting professor at a number of institutes and universities like the Centre for International Affairs, Harvard University, Universities of Virginia and Richmond. In 1985-1987 he was also a member of the energy panel of the World Commission for Environment and Development, headed by Gro Harlem Brundtland.
He is an author of the following books.
- India : A Political Economy of Stagnation (1980).
- Management of Public Enterprises in Developing Asian Countries: The UN Asian and Pacific Development Administration Centre. (1980).
- In the Eye of the Cyclone: The crisis in Indian Democracy. (1993).
- Kashmir 1947: Rival versions of History (1996).
- A Jobless Future: Political causes of Economic crisis (in India) (2002).
- The Perilous Road to the Market: The Political economy of reform in Russia, China and India. (2002).
- Kashmir 1947: the Origins of a dispute (2003).
- The End of Saddam Hussein's Iraq - History through the Eyes of the Victim (2003).
- Twilight of the Nation State: Globalisation, Chaos, and War (2006).
- Crouching Dragon, Hidden Tiger: Can China and India Dominate the West? (2009).
- India & China: The Battle Between Soft And Hard Power (2010).
- Destruction of A Nation
- The Origins of A Dispute - Kashmir 1947
- "MR. PREM SHANKAR JHA". Mumbai MTNL. Archived from the original on 3 March 2010. Retrieved 2008-06-02.
- "Visiting Scholars, Fellows, and Associates and Research Interests 2006–2007". Fairbank Centre for East Asian Research. Retrieved 2008-06-03.
- Prem Shankar Jha (August 7, 2012). "India must think before it acts on Syria". The Hindu.
- "Prem Shankar Jha". Hindustan Times. 2008-06-01. Retrieved 2008-06-03.