Premier University, Chittagong
|Premier University, Chittagong|
Seal of the Premier University
|Motto||Centre of excellence for quality learning|
|Chancellor||President Abdul Hamid|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Dr. Anupam Sen|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission Bangladesh|
Premier University (Bengali: প্রিমিয়ার বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) or PUC is a private university in Chittagong, Bangladesh. It was established in 2002 by the local government institution Chittagong City Corporation (CCC), has the advantages of the best of both Private University and Public University Systems. According to an international educational survey conducted by Australian govt. in 2007, it received a position of "A" category university. It attaches the paramount importance to the quality of education it imparts to the students.
- 1 History
- 2 Mission
- 3 Schools, departments and academic programs
- 3.1 School of Business
- 3.2 School of Applied Sciences
- 3.3 School of Arts and Social Sciences
- 4 Premier University IT Institute
- 5 Campus
- 6 Library
- 7 Laboratories
- 8 Campus Activities
- 9 International relations
- 10 Teaching and research
- 11 References
- 12 External links
The ex-mayor of Chittagong City Corporation, ABM Mohiuddin Chowdhury, conceived the idea of establishing a center of excellence for higher education and learning in Chittagong and initiated a needs assessment in 1998. A project proposal for Premier University was submitted to the Ministry of Education of Bangladesh in May 2001. The proposal was approved by the Government of Bangladesh under the Private University Act, and the University Grants Commission (Bangladesh) (UGC) approved the curricula of Premier University.
The university came into being on December 5, 2001 and launched its academic programs in January 2002.
The university joins the advantages of both private and public university systems. The university do not pursuit any commercial goals, making the tuition fees considerably lower compared to other private universities in Bangladesh. Special focus is set on creating an awareness of the socio-economic realities of developing societies in general and of Bangladesh in particular.
Schools, departments and academic programs
School of Business
The school offers degrees in Business Administration having concentrations in the area of Marketing, MIS, Human Resource Management, International Business, Business Policy and Strategy, Finance and Accounting. The programs offered by the School of Business are:
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA)
School of Applied Sciences
Department of Architecture
The Department of Architecture offers undergraduate courses in the fields of drawing and so on. Course in Mathematics and Physics are also taught by members of the department. The degrees offered by the department are as follows:
- Bachelor of Science in Architecture (B.Sc in ARCH.)
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering offers undergraduate courses in the fields of computer science and telecommunications. Course in Mathematics and Physics are also taught by members of the department. The degrees offered by the department are as follows:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science & Engineering (BSc in CSE)
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
The Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering offers undergraduate courses in the fields of electrical and electronics engineering. Course in Mathematics, Physics and Management are also taught. The degree offered by the department are as follows:
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (BSc in EEE)
School of Arts and Social Sciences
Department of Law
The department of Law offers the following undergraduate and postgraduate degrees.
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
- Master of Laws (LLM)
Department of English
The department of English offers the following degrees in :
- Bachelor of Arts (Honors) in English (BA in Eng.)
- Master of Arts in English (MA in Eng.)
Department of Economics
The Department of Economics offers the following degrees in:
- Bachelor of Social Science (Honors) in Economics (BSS in ECO.)
- Master of Social Science in Economics (MSS in ECO.)
Premier University IT Institute
Premier University IT Institute, a centre of research and development, was established jointly by the Department of Computer Science and Engineering and the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering. The project was initiated with the support of Chittagong City Corporation. The objective of this institute is to provide practical experience to the students of the departments. The institute also intends to contribute extensively to the digitization of Chittagong City as announced by the Honorable Mayor Alhaj ABM Mohiuddin Chowdhury. As part of the scheme, the institute will design, develop and set up the ‘e-governance’ for the Chittagong City Corporation. Setting up ‘E-governance’ will augment the ability of Chittagong City Corporation to extend support and help to general people of Chittagong city.
The IT institute will contribute positively in several ways. It will allow Premier University students to gain hands-on experience as they will work there as interns. The institute will provide the world class training of CISCO (CCNA, CCNP, CCSP), Oracle, Nortel, Microsoft, Linux and Sun Solaris. This will help to overcome the shortage of IT-skilled people in Bangladesh.
It will create jobs in IT and electronics in Chittagong.
The institute will contribute to the economy by developing, designing and manufacturing products and services which are now imported from abroad. This will help to improve the balance of payment position of the country.
Studies of IT Institute
- GPS based tracking system and Traffic Control System
- Radio Frequency and microprocessor based personal ID card, which may be used for payment of utility bills, individual tax, holding tax, VAT, issuance and renewal of trade license, etc.
- IP based surveillance and security system.
- Intelligent fire alarm & control system
- Wired and wireless (Wi-Fi) network planning, development and security
- WiMax and 3G Network design, deployment
- MNC (Multinational Corporation) quality laptop development and manufacture in reasonable price.
- LCD panel assemble.
- Farmer’s mobile device development and manufacture
- Multistoried building management system (BMS) including access control, security, surveillance, power, fire alarm and control, public announcement, etc.
- Call Center for Public Health and Emergency Services
- Programmable Logic Control (PLC) system solution and services for industries
- Telecommunication software development (2G and 3G)
- Mobile application development
- Web based software development
- Data Center creation.
- BPO (Business Process Outsource) Consultancy and project management.
Chittagong is a picturesque city adjacent to the Bay of Bengal. Premier University is in the city centre near Chittagong Medical College and close to Chittagong Railway Station and the central bus depot.
Premier University consists of five buildings: two of them form the main campus, with the other ones (Business department building,Law department building and Press Club Bhavan) set off.Premier University has started its functions at its own four-storied building located at 'Probortak Circle' northwest to Chittagong Medical College. Adjacent to it,construction of the seven-storied Arts and Engineering Faculty (Including Architecture)building in Probortak and another huge multistoried building for Business Faculty in WASA have been completed. The construction of another multistoried building for Law Faculty in Hazari Lane is also being completed.Another campus for the Department of Economics is now functioning at the Press Club Bhavan in Jamal Khan. The acquisition of further premises near Foy's Lake is planned.
Premier University has a rich Library.The Library subscribes to various disciplines that have been taught at Premier University.It may be noted that the Department of Law,English and Economics have Seminar Library in addition to the central Library.The students of Premier University have also access to another Library which has been established in collaboration with the British Council;this Library is known as the Premier University British Council Resource Centre.The faculty of Business Studies has another big Library which can accommodate more than 200 readers at a time.All Libraries are online-accessible and air-conditioned.
Premier University Library, a centre of research and development. Premier University authority has established the University library in 2002 at the beginning of its journey. Now it becomes the large Library among any private university libraries of the country. There are over than 1,00,000 books in Premier University Library covering the subjects relating to the academic programmes and other co-curriculum disciplines.
There are also journals, periodicals, research and thesis papers, reports, conference proceedings, handbooks, manuals, encyclopedias, dictionaries, CD, VCD etc. for the users which are treated as reference collections and these can only be used within the library. The library collections are being arranged by a automated cataloging system that a user can easily find any book or other collection among huge collections of the library. The Central Library building is situated in its own administrative campus at Probartok Circle.
Premier University Library is recently established library automation by open source library software, known as KOHA. Premier University Library Software is fully automated web based software which is international standard quality provided by KOHA.
Premier University has various type of laboratories equipped with state-of-art resources to support proper student learning.The list of laboratories includes
- Computer Labs
- Circuits and Electronics Lab
- Machines Lab
- Communication and Microprocessor Lab
- Design Studio
The students of Premier University are actively involve in different kind of extra-curricular activities.These Campus Activities are very encouraging.Students' participation in
- Premier University Business Club
- Premier university Debating Society (PUDS)
- Language Club
- Photography Club
- Programming Club
- Robotics Club
- Premier University Networking Club (PUNC)
- Premier University Computer Society
- Blood Collection Club
Premier University has a credit transfer agreement with the University of New Brunswick in Saint John, NB, Canada. Further academic cooperation and collaboration is being negotiated with a number of well-known universities in the United States, the United Kingdom and Australia.
Premier University co-operates with an International Academic Advisory Council, which consists of the following eight members:
- Muhammed Kabir , Professor of Economics, director of graduate programs and current Associate Vice President at University of New Brunswick (chairman)
- Bambang Tri Cahyono, Jakarta Institute of Management Studies 
- David Gibson, Research Professor of Technology at Norwich University
- Jan Nowak , Professor of International Marketing and director of graduate programs at University of New Brunswick
- Thomas O'Toole , Professor of Anthropology at St. Cloud State University
- Dennis McConnell, Professor of Finance at University of Maine
- Benjamin Kissle, Associate Professor of Statistics at University of the Virgin Islands
- Felina Young, Professor of Business Management and Entrepreneurship at San Beda College
Teaching and research
Premier University includes faculties for Engineering, Business Administration, Social Science, Law and Arts. The teaching staff consists of Bangladeshi as well as foreigners. Some lectures are held by outside experts in to order to provide insights into "the real life environment" and by visiting scholars.