Premier University, Chittagong
|Premier University, Chittagong|
Seal of the Premier University
|Motto||Centre of excellence for quality learning|
|Chancellor||President Abdul Hamid (politician)|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Dr. Anupam Sen|
|Students||Premier University currently has more than 12000 undergraduate and graduate students and over 7000 alumni.|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission Bangladesh|
Premier University (Bengali: প্রিমিয়ার বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) or PUC is a private university in Chittagong, Bangladesh. It was established in 2002 by the local government institution Chittagong City Corporation. According to an international educational survey conducted by the Australian government in 2007, it received an "A" category.
- 1 History
- 2 Fees
- 3 Financial Aid
- 4 Scholarship Information
- 5 Schools, departments and academic programs
- 5.1 School of Business
- 5.2 School of Applied Sciences
- 5.3 School of Arts and Social Sciences
- 6 Premier University IT Institute
- 7 Campus
- 8 Library
- 9 Laboratories
- 10 Campus activities
- 11 International relations
- 12 Teaching and research
- 13 References
- 14 External links
The ex-mayor of Chittagong City Corporation, ABM Mohiuddin Chowdhury, conceived the idea of establishing a center of excellence for higher education and learning in Chittagong and initiated a needs assessment in 1998. A project proposal for Premier University was submitted to the Ministry of Education of Bangladesh in May 2001. The proposal was approved by the Government of Bangladesh under the Private University Act, and the University Grants Commission (Bangladesh) (UGC) approved the curricula of Premier University.
The university came into being on December 5, 2001 and launched its academic programs in January 2002.
The university does not pursuit any commercial goals, making the tuition fees lower than other private universities in Bangladesh.
Premier University offers free studentship to the poor but meritorious students. The student has to prove him/herself that he/she is not a bad student and his/her academic achievements are at least medium.At the same time he/she is to prove that his/her financial conditions do not allow him to defray the educational expenses like tuition fees.
Rules and Regulations for application for Free Studentship
Guardian of the student has to apply for free studentship.
i) If the parents of the student are dead the legal guardian of the student has to apply.
ii) If the student is employed or earning, the student himself / herself can apply.
Application for free studentship will be considered after a student has studied at least one semester. Application has to be addressed to Vice Chancellor, through the Chairman of the respective department. Chairman of the department will examine the application and forward with his/her opinion. Student(s) applying must have minimum GPA 3.00 in the preceding semester examination. Application should be accompanied by supporting documents, such as certificate of inadequacy of income from the Commissioner / Chairman of Ward / Union Council where the applicant lives/resides, Income statement from the employer (if the applicant is service holder). Copies of all transcripts of previous semester final examinations are to be submitted along with the application.
From very beginning Premier University offers Merit Scholarships. Merit Scholarships are awarded as per the following criteria:
- A student who gets A+ grade in most recent HSC examination or 4 A's in 'O' level examination, get a full semester tuition waiver scholarship. The scholarship is a standable in the next semester if he/she does not come below a minimum standard in the final examination of the semester.
- At present as a practice, PU offers scholarship from the second semester to those students who stand first, second & third in the final examination of the previous semester.
Schools, departments and academic programs
School of Business
The school offers degrees in Business Administration having concentrations in the area of Marketing, MIS, Human Resource Management, International Business, Business Policy and Strategy, Finance and Accounting. The programs offered by the School of Business are:
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA)
- Master in Dynamic Philosophy of Business (MDPB)
School of Applied Sciences
- Bachelor of Science (Honors)in Chemistry.
- Bachelor of Science (Honors) in Mathematics.
Department of Architecture
The Department of Architecture offers undergraduate courses. Course in Mathematics and Physics are also taught by members of the department. The degree offered by the department is:
- Bachelor of Science in Architecture (B.Sc in ARCH.)
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering offers undergraduate courses in the fields of computer science and telecommunications. Course in Mathematics and Physics are also taught by members of the department. The degree offered by the department is:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science & Engineering (BSc in CSE)
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
The Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering offers undergraduate courses in the fields of electrical and electronics engineering. Course in Mathematics, Physics and Management are also taught. The degree offered by the department is:
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (BSc in EEE)
School of Arts and Social Sciences
Department of Law
The department of Law offers the following undergraduate and postgraduate degrees.
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
- Master of Laws (LLM)
Achievement Department of Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor_of_Laws
Department of English
The department of English offers the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts (Honors) in English (BA in Eng.)
- Master of Arts in English (MA in Eng.)
Department of Economics
The Department of Economics offers the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Social Science (Honors) in Economics (BSS in ECO.)
- Master of Social Science in Economics (MSS in ECO.)
Premier University IT Institute
Premier University IT Institute, a centre of research and development, was established jointly by the Department of Computer Science and Engineering and the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering. The project was initiated with the support of Chittagong City Corporation. The institute contributes to the digitization of Chittagong City as announced by the Mayor Alhaj ABM Mohiuddin Chowdhury. As part of the scheme, the institute will design, develop and set up the ‘e-governance’ for the Chittagong City Corporation. Setting up ‘e-governance’ will augment the ability of Chittagong City Corporation to extend support and help to general people of Chittagong city.
The IT institute will allow Premier University students to gain hands-on experience as they will work there as interns. The institute will provide training by CISCO (CCNA, CCNP, CCSP), Oracle, Nortel, Microsoft, Linux and Sun Solaris.
Studies of IT Institute
- GPS based tracking system and Traffic Control System
- Radio Frequency and microprocessor based personal ID card, which may be used for payment of utility bills, individual tax, holding tax, VAT, issuance and renewal of trade license, etc.
- IP based surveillance and security system.
- Intelligent fire alarm and control system
- Wired and wireless (Wi-Fi) network planning, development and security
- WiMax and 3G Network design, deployment
- MNC (Multinational Corporation) quality laptop development and manufacture in reasonable price.
- LCD panel assemble.
- Farmer’s mobile device development and manufacture
- Multistoried building management system including access control, security, surveillance, power, fire alarm and control, public announcement, etc.
- Call Center for Public Health and Emergency Services
- Programmable Logic Control system solution and services for industries
- Telecommunication software development (2G and 3G)
- Mobile application development
- Web based software development
- Data Center creation.
- Business Process Outsource Consultancy and project management.
Letter grades indicating the quality of course work completed with their corresponding grade points are shown below
|Letter||Grade Point||Numerical (%)|
Chittagong is a picturesque city adjacent to the Bay of Bengal. Premier University is in the city centre near Chittagong Medical College and close to Chittagong Railway Station and the central bus depot.
Premier University has five buildings: two of them form the main campus, with the other ones (Business department building,Law department building and Press Club Bhavan) set off. Premier University started its functions at its own four-storied building located at 'Probortak Circle' northwest to Chittagong Medical College. Adjacent to it, construction of the seven-storied Arts and Engineering Faculty (Including Architecture)building in Probortak and another huge multistoried building for Business Faculty in WASA have been completed. The construction of another multistoried building for Law Faculty in Hazari Lane is also being completed.Another campus for the Department of Economics is now functioning at the Press Club Bhavan in Jamal Khan.Premier University will build a new permanent campus at O.R Nizam Road on about 62 ganda land area.The acquisition of further premises near Foy's Lake is planned.Premier university has already procured forty acres of land from Bangladesh Railway at Kumira popularly known as BR Sanitarium, an exquisite beauty spot unparalleled in this reason, for its permanent campus. Premier University has also procured another piece of land (4.56 acres) at Pahartali.
The Department of Law, English and Economics have the Seminar Library in addition to the Central library.The faculty of Business Studies has library which can accommodate more than 200 readers at a time. All libraries are online-accessible and air-conditioned.
The University library was established in 2002 There are 1,00,000 books covering the subjects relating to the academic programmes and other co-curriculum disciplines.
There are also journals, periodicals, research and thesis papers, reports, conference proceedings, handbooks, manuals, encyclopedias, dictionaries, CD, VCD etc. for the users which are treated as reference collections and these can only be used within the library. The library collections are arranged by an automated cataloging system so that a user can find any book among the collections of the library. The Central Library building is situated in its own administrative campus at Probartok Circle.
Premier University Library uses open source library software, known as KOHA.
- Computer Labs
- Circuits and Electronics Lab
- Machines Lab
- Communication and Microprocessor Lab
- Design Studio
Students' participate in:
- Premier University Business Club
- Premier university Debating Society (PUDS)
- Language Club
- Photography Club
- Programming Club
- Robotics Club
- Premier University Networking Club (PUNC)
- Premier University Computer Society
- Blood Collection Club
The university has a credit transfer agreement with the University of New Brunswick in Saint John, NB, Canada. Further academic cooperation and collaboration is being negotiated with universities in the United States, the United Kingdom and Australia.
Premier University co-operates with an International Academic Advisory Council, which consists of the following eight members:
- Muhammed Kabir , Professor of Economics, director of graduate programs and current Associate Vice President at University of New Brunswick (chairman)
- Bambang Tri Cahyono, Jakarta Institute of Management Studies 
- David Gibson, Research Professor of Technology at Norwich University
- Jan Nowak , Professor of International Marketing and director of graduate programs at University of New Brunswick
- Thomas O'Toole , Professor of Anthropology at St. Cloud State University
- Dennis McConnell, Professor of Finance at University of Maine
- Benjamin Kissle, Associate Professor of Statistics at University of the Virgin Islands
- Felina Young, Professor of Business Management and Entrepreneurship at San Beda College
Teaching and research
The university includes faculties for Engineering, Business Administration, Social Science, Law and Arts. The teaching staff consists of Bangladeshi as well as foreigners. Some lectures are held by outside experts in to order to provide insights into "the real life environment" and by visiting scholars.