United Counties of Prescott and Russell
|Prescott and Russell
Comtés unis de Prescott et Russell
|United Counties of Prescott and Russell|
|Motto: Sic Dat Diligentia Terra
("He who works hard reaps a good harvest")
Location of Prescott & Russell counties
|• Warden||Jean Paul St. Pierre|
|• Governing body||Prescott and Russell County Council|
|• MPs||Pierre Lemieux|
|• MPPs||Grant Crack|
|• Land||2,004.44 km2 (773.92 sq mi)|
|• Density||42.6/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
The United Counties of Prescott and Russell (French: Comtés unis de Prescott et Russell) are consolidated counties located in the Canadian province of Ontario. Its county seat is L'Orignal. It was created as a result of a merger between Russell County and Prescott County in 1820. It is located in Eastern Ontario.
Geography and nature
It is crossed by the South Nation River that connects the Larose Forest and Alfred Bog. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources has designated the Alfred Bog "a provincially significant wetland and an area of natural and scientific interest. Species of interest include the Palm Warbler, Northern Pitcher-plant, Pink Lady's-slipper, cottongrass, Bog Elfin and Bog Copper butterflies, and Ebony Boghaunter dragonfly. It also hosts one of the most southerly herds of moose. The bog is open to the public with a 272 metre boardwalk for nature walks.
Municipalities and townships with major unincorporated communities:
- Alfred and Plantagenet (township)
- Casselman (municipality)
- Champlain (township)
- Clarence-Rockland (city)
- East Hawkesbury (township)
- Hawkesbury (town)
- Russell (township)
- The Nation (municipality)
- Population in 2001: 76,446
- Population in 1996: 74,013
The median income for a household in the county was $52,664, and the median income for a family was $59,817. Males have an average income of $35,984 versus $25,917 for females.
Prescott and Russell has always had a large Franco-Ontarian population, and is (by percentage) the most francophone census division in Canada west of Quebec. French is the mother tongue of 66.2% of its residents.
|English and French||1 035||1.3%|
There are two hospitals in United Counties: Hawkesbury and District General Hospital, in Hawkesbury, and the Glengarry Memorial Hospital, a rural hospital in Alexandria, Ontario. Also, there is a medevac helicopter, in Ottawa, Ontario. The two hospital have seen an increase in wait times, due to an influx of patient from Quebec. The Government of Quebec has stalled effort to build a second hospital in Western Quebec, it is not known when funding will be made available.
The North Glengarry Prescott Russell (NGPR) Transport Board, composed of representatives of the member municipalities, is the incorporated public body responsible for the transit service which is operated by private contractors. Casselman, and The Nation Municipality, the communities being served.
Rockland is also served by a commuter bus line operated by Leduc Bus Lines which offers 10-12 trips from the village to downtown Ottawa and Gatineau during rush-hour.
The county is policed by the Ontario Provincial Police. There are two main police stations in Prescott and Russell: one in Embrun and one in Hawkesbury. In addition, there is a police station in Rockland that acts as a satellite to the one in Embrun. OPP is charged of patrolling Highway 417. OPP is also charged of policing in the United Counties.
- List of municipalities in Ontario
- Transit Eastern Ontario operated under the authority of The North Glengarry Prescott Russell (NGPR) Transport Board
- List of townships in Ontario
- "Prescott and Russell United counties census profile". 2011 Census of Population. Statistics Canada. Retrieved 2012-03-21.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Community highlights for Prescott and Russell". 2006. Retrieved 2007-12-28.
- The Alfred Bog, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club
- "2006 Community Profiles". Canada 2006 Census. Statistics Canada. March 30, 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-21.
- "2001 Community Profiles". Canada 2001 Census. Statistics Canada. February 17, 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-21.
- Lahaie, Lianne. "Wait times at Hawkesbury hospital are on the rise". Hawkesbury Review.
- About The North Glengarry Prescott Russell Transport Board
- Ontario Provincial Police Website
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Prescott and Russell United Counties, Ontario.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Prescott-Russell.|
Papineau RCM, Quebec
Argenteuil RCM, Quebec
|Ottawa (single-tier city)||Vaudreuil-Soulanges RCM, Quebec|
|Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry|