President of Serbia
|President of the Republic of Serbia
Председник Републике Србијe
Predsednik Republike Srbije
Standard of the President
|Seat||Novi dvor (Belgrade)|
|Term length||Five years
|Inaugural holder||Slobodan Milošević|
|Formation||11 January 1991|
|Salary||120,000 RSD / month|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Duties and competences
- Represent Serbia at home and abroad,
- Propose laws upon his/her decree, in accordance with the Constitution,
- Propose an individual for the position of Prime Minister to Parliament,
- Propose to the National Assembly holders of positions, in accordance with the Constitution
- Appoint and dismiss, upon his/her decree, ambassadors of Serbia, upon the proposal of the Government,
- Receive letters of credit and revocable letters of credit of foreign diplomatic representatives,
- Grant amnesties and award honours,
- Administer other affairs stipulated by the Constitution.
Oath of office
While assuming the office, the President of the Republic shall take the following oath before the National Assembly:
I do solemnly swear that I will devote all my efforts to preserve the sovereignty and integrity of the territory of the Republic of Serbia, including Kosovo and Metohija as its constituent part, as well as to provide exercise of human and minority rights and freedoms, respect and protection of the Constitution and laws, preservation of peace and welfare of all citizens of the Republic of Serbia and perform all my duties conscientiously and responsibly.
Term of office of the President of the Republic of Serbia
The term of office of the President of the Republic shall last five years and begin from the day of taking of the oath before the National Assembly.
If the term of office of the President of the Republic expires during the state of war or emergency, it shall be extended so that it lasts until the expiry of three months from the day of the end of the state of war, that is, of emergency.
No one shall be elected to a position of the President of the Republic more than twice.
The term of office of the President of the Republic shall end with expiry of the period of time for which he or she has been elected, by his/her resignation or released of duty.
The President of the Republic shall tender his/her resignation to the Chairman of the National Assembly.
Advisers to the President carry out the analytical, advisory and other corresponding tasks for the needs of the President of the Republic as well as other expert tasks in relations of the President with the Government and the Parliament.
Latest presidential election
|Candidates||Nominating parties||1st round||2nd round|
|Tomislav Nikolić||Serbian Progressive Party||979,216||25.05%||1,552,063||49.54%|
|Boris Tadić||Choice for a Better Life||989,454||25.31%||1,481,952||47.31%|
|Ivica Dačić||Socialist Party of Serbia (SPS), Party of United Pensioners of Serbia (PUPS), United Serbia (JS)||556,013||14.23%|
|Vojislav Koštunica||Democratic Party of Serbia||290,861||7.44%|
|Zoran Stanković||United Regions of Serbia||257,054||6.58%|
|Čedomir Jovanović||U-Turn coalition||196,668||5.03%|
|Jadranka Šešelj||Serbian Radical Party||147,793||3.78%|
|Vladan Glišić||independent (Civic Group Dveri)||108,303||2.77%|
|István Pásztor||Alliance of Vojvodina Hungarians||63,420||1.62%|
|Zoran Dragišić||independent (Civic Group Movement of Workers and Peasants of Serbia)||60,116||1.54%|
|Danica Grujičić||Social Democratic Alliance||30,602||0.78%|
List of Presidents
Living former Presidents
|Name||Term||Date of birth|
|Milan Milutinović||1997–2002||19 December 1942|
|Boris Tadić||2004–2012||15 January 1958|
- "Za Nikolića 30.000 manje" (in Serbian). Večernje novosti. 14 April 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- The President of the Republic Wikisource
- Constitution of Serbia - Article 112 Wikisource
- Constitution of Serbia - Article 114 Wikisource
- Constitution of Serbia - Article 116 Wikisource
- Office of the President
- 200. седница Републичке изборне комисије