|Original author(s)||PrestaShop SA|
|Stable release||1.5.6 / 19 November 2013|
|Available in||56 languages|
|License||Open Software License version 3.0|
PrestaShop is a free, open source e-commerce solution. It supports payment gateways such as DirecPay, Google Checkout, Authorize.Net, Skrill, PayPal and PayPal Payments Pro (Direct) via their respective APIs. Further payment modules are offered commercially.
PrestaShop is available under the Open Software License and officially launched in August 2007. The software, which is written in PHP and based on the Smarty template engine, is currently used by 165,000 shops worldwide. MySQL is the default database engine. PrestaShop is the winner of the 2010 and 2011 Best Open-source Business Application awards.
The PrestaShop group was founded in Paris, with a second office opened in Miami in 2011.
PrestaShop is translated into 57 languages, with only English, French, Portuguese, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Polish and Russian having full support in all release versions.
Technical support is provided on the official forum from PrestaShop growing Community consisting of more than 600,000 active members.
The software makes extensive use of AJAX in the admin panel, while module blocks can be easily added to the store to provide extra functionality; these are normally provided free of charge by independent developers.
The makers of PrestaShop have an official marketplace for priced modules and themes entitled PrestaShop Addons.
There are a number of volunteers who support and contribute their own Addons to PrestaShop. Contributors often program additional features for the software, on top of the 310 features available by default.
PrestaShop operates an associated website called PrestaBox, which integrates the software into a simple one-stop hosting operation.
The merchant must have a domain name and a web server with these features:
- Apache web server 1.3 or later
- PHP 5.1 or later
- MySQL 5 or later
- Linux, Unix or Windows installed operating system
(*) Incompatibility issues with the following PHP 5 versions prevent PrestaShop from working correctly:
- PHP 5.2.1 (authentication is impossible)
- PHP 5.2.6 (authentication is impossible under 64bit servers)
- PHP 5.2.9 (image management/upload broken)
- PHP < 5.2 (invalid date timezone)
The software provides over 310 built-in features including unlimited product inventory management, layered navigation, fully customizable templates, analytics and reporting, promotion rules, multi-store management, unlimited currencies and return management.
- PrestaShop 1.0 was released on July 31, 2008.
- PrestaShop 1.4 was released on March 18, 2011, bringing more than 65 new features to merchants & developers.
- PrestaShop 1.5 was released on September 13, 2012, bringing Multistore functionality, improved cart pricing rules and the ability to manually create orders through the Back Office.
- List of all releases
- Comparison of shopping cart software
- Comparison of free software eCommerce web application frameworks
- List of online payment service providers