HMV POP 1523 picture sleeve
|Single by Manfred Mann|
|B-side||"You're Standing By"|
|Released||15 April 1966|
|Format||7" 45 RPM|
|Recorded||1966 at EMI Studios in Abbey Road, London, England|
|Label||His Master's Voice POP 1523|
|Manfred Mann singles chronology|
"Pretty Flamingo" is a song written by Mark Barkan, which became a hit in 1966 when Manfred Mann's recording of it was released as a single. The single reached number one in the UK Singles Chart on 5 May 1966. Manfred Mann's recording was a minor hit in the United States where it spent eight weeks on Billboard 's Hot 100 chart, peaking at number 29 during the week of August 6, 1966. It was also successful in Ireland, and was number one there for four weeks, keeping the Rolling Stones' "Paint It Black" at number two.
The speaker describes a woman—whom "all of the guys call [...] 'Flamingo', 'cause her hair glows like the sun and her eyes can light the sky"—for whom the singer has fallen, and his plans to win her affection.
The song has been covered by such notable artists as Gene Pitney, Tommy Roe, The Everly Brothers, Rod Stewart, Elvis Costello with Glenn Tilbrook, Chris Difford and Nick Lowe, Rolf Harris, Bruce Springsteen, Elbow, Dave Gregory of XTC, Broken Dolls, The Queers, Les McCann, Billy Strange with The Challengers and Paul Weller. The original demo of the song was recorded by noted New York City vocalist Jimmy Radcliffe.
|Canada RPM 100||2|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||12|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||15|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||29|
- Rice, Jo (1982). The Guinness Book of 500 Number One Hits (1st ed.). Enfield, Middlesex: Guinness Superlatives Ltd. pp. 100–1. ISBN 0-85112-250-7.
- "Official Singles Chart UK Top 100". Theofficialcharts.com. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "The Hot 100 : August 06, 1966 | Billboard Chart Archive". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "100" (PHP). RPM 5 (23). 1 August 1966. Retrieved 7 June 2011.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Manfred Mann – Pretty Flamingo" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Topp 20 Single uke 22, 1966 – VG-lista. Offisielle hitlister fra og med 1958" (in Norwegian). VG-lista.
- Hallberg, Eric (1993). Kvällstoppen i P3 (1st ed.). Sweden: Drift Musik. ISBN 91-630-2140-4.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart.
- "Manfred Mann Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Manfred Mann.
"You Don't Have to Say You Love Me"
by Dusty Springfield
|UK number one single
5 May 1966
"Paint It, Black" by Rolling Stones
|This 1960s pop song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|