Pretty Little Liars
||This article may be written from a fan's point of view, rather than a neutral point of view. (March 2013)|
|Published||October 2006 – December 2014|
|Media type||Print (hardback & paperback)
|No. of books||16|
Pretty Little Liars is a series of young-adult novels by author Sara Shepard, beginning with 2006's initial novel of the same name. The series follows the lives of four girls – Spencer Hastings, Hanna Marin, Aria Montgomery, and Emily Fields – whose clique falls apart after the disappearance of their leader, Alison DiLaurentis, in the summer after 7th grade. Later, when the girls are juniors in high school, they begin receiving various messages from someone using the alias "A" who threatens to expose their secrets.
The novels explore several different topics and themes such as bullying, murder, drug addiction, underage drinking, eating disorders, homosexuality, peer pressure, infidelity, and mental illness. Moral ambiguity and the consequences of lying are featured prominently in the series; the girls constantly create their own problems through their unwillingness or inability to tell the truth about certain events and misdeeds they have done.
The novels have appeared on the The New York Times Best Seller list. A television series adaptation loosely based on the novels debuted on June 8, 2010 on ABC Family. The franchise has been licensed by Amazon.com's Kindle Worlds range of non-canon ebooks.
The series is loosely divided into four arcs of four to five books each, chronicling the introduction and reveal of each "A". The series follows the lives of four teenage girls, nicknamed the Pretty Little Liars or simply the Liars, whose clique falls apart after the disappearance of their friend Alison DiLaurentis. Three years after her disappearance, the girls begin receiving anonymous messages from an anonymous source, "A," who threatens to expose their secrets, including long-hidden ones they thought only Alison knew. Shortly after the messages begin, Alison's body is discovered. The books progress with the four girls trying to figure out the identity of "A".
Although the series features an extensive cast of characters of varying significance, the novels focus predominantly on seven main characters:
- Spencer Hastings
- Hanna Marin
- Aria Montgomery
- Emily Fields
- Alison DiLaurentis
- Courtney DiLaurentis
- A (an anonymous extortionist)
- Pretty Little Liars (2006), ISBN 978-0-06-088730-8
- Flawless (2007), ISBN 978-0-06-088733-9
- Perfect (2007), ISBN 978-0-06-088736-0
- Unbelievable (2008), ISBN 978-0-06-088739-1
- Wicked (2008), ISBN 978-0-06-156607-3
- Killer (2009), ISBN 978-0-06-156611-0
- Heartless (2010), ISBN 978-0-06-156614-1
- Wanted (2010), ISBN 978-0-06-156617-2
- Twisted (2011), ISBN 978-0-06-208101-8
- Ruthless (2011), ISBN 978-0-06-208186-5
- Stunning (2012), ISBN 978-0-06-208189-6
- Burned (2012), ISBN 978-0-06-208192-6
- Crushed (2013), ISBN 978-0-06-219971-3
- Deadly (2013), ISBN 978-0-06-219974-4
- Toxic (2014), ISBN 9780062287014
- Vicious (2014), ISBN 9780062287045
- Alison's Pretty Little Diary (2010), ISBN 978-0-06-223336-3
- Pretty Little Secrets (2012), ISBN 978-0-06-212591-0
- Ali's Pretty Little Lies (2013), ISBN 978-0062233363
- "Children's Series Best Sellers". The New York Times. June 22, 2008. Retrieved May 10, 2012.
- "Children's Series Best Sellers". The New York Times. July 26, 2009. Retrieved May 10, 2012.
- "Children's Series Best Sellers". The New York Times. February 5, 2012. Retrieved May 10, 2012.
- Amazon.com. "Kindle Worlds: Pretty Little Liars". Retrieved 2014-08-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pretty Little Liars.|