The website PriceRunner is a price comparison service launched in Sweden in 1999. It allows users to compare prices on a range of products. The commercial headquarters are in London, England, and it also has offices in Stockholm, Munich, Paris and California.
|Developer(s)||Kristofer Arwin, Martin Alexanderson and Magnus Wiberg|
|Stable release||1.29.4 / 13 July 2006|
|Operating system||Any (web based application)|
|Type||Price comparison service|
PriceRunner was launched in 1999 as a price comparison service based in Sweden and originally financed by a venture capitalist group called Cell Ventures, who were later acquired by NewMedia Spark. It launched the service in the UK and Denmark in 2000. Initially, they had planned to become a pan-European service, but some of these services were closed down in 2002 after poor financial performance.
In 2006, it announced that it would launch a partnership service with 118 118, a UK phone based service, to provide prices to people by SMS. This followed an earlier failure to enter the mobile market in 2002 by providing price tracking through the site. In October, MSN announced that their Shopping sites in France and the UK would be powered by PriceRunner and Shopping.com. They had previously been powered by Kelkoo.
PriceRunner uses a combination of screen scraping retailers' websites and files supplied by the retailers themselves. These prices are matched against a backend database. This is done both by using a fuzzy logic automatching system and manually by admin staff.
PriceRunner is similar to other price comparison services in that it is financed by advertisers, who pay on a pay per click model. It also uses web banners provided by sister company, advertising network ValueClick Media.
- http://www.pricerunner.com/about.html 'About Us' page on PriceRunner.com
- http://www.e-consultancy.com/news-blog/10528/pricerunner-offers-europe--wide-price-comparison.html Pricerunner offers Europe-wide price comparison
- http://www.e-consultancy.com/news-blog/157038/valueclick-acquires-pricerunner.html e-consultancy article: ValueClick acquires Pricerunner
- http://www.netimperative.com/2004/10/12/Pricerunner_Germany Pricerunner launches in Germany
- http://www.comparisonengines.com/2005/07/26/pricerunner-announces-launch-in-the-us/ PriceRunner Announces Launch in the US
- https://www.netimperative.com/2006/07/03/PriceRunner PriceRunner teams with 118 118
- http://www.webpronews.com/financial/news/wpn-64-20061002EuropePriceRunnerMakesDealWithMSN.html Europe: PriceRunner Makes Deal With MSN
- ValueClick, Inc. Signs Definitive Agreement to Sell Owned & Operated Websites Segment
- PriceRunner UK
- PriceRunner France
- PriceRunner Sweden
- Pricerunner Denmark
- PriceRunner Germany
- PriceRunner Austria