|University of California, San Diego
Price Center West exterior
|Type||Student activity center|
|Location||San Diego, California|
The Price Center is a student center located in the center of UCSD's campus, just south of Geisel Library. Serving more than 30,000 visitors a day, the Price Center offers a variety of services, places, and spaces geared to the needs of students including fast food restaurants, the central bookstore, movie theater, and various student organizations.
In 1989 Sol Price donated $2 million to the construction of a new student center which opened in April 21, 1989. The Price Center officially opened as a replacement to the smaller Student Center (which remained open).
- Espresso Roma (coffee shop)
- Jamba Juice
- Panda Express
- Round Table Pizza
- Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill
- Shogun (Japanese food)
- Outback Adventures Surf Shop
- Box office
- Movie theater
- EDNA info (information desk)
- Gameroom (pool hall)
- Imprints (print shop)
- La Jolla Rose Company
In the spring of 2003, a Student Referendum was passed to expand the Price Center to nearly double the original size for the start of the 2008 academic year. The students agreed to increase their student fees by $39 per quarter to pay for the expansion, which cost about $64 million. The student fee gathered roughly $46 million for the expansion, with the remainder coming from various campus accounts.
The new expansion includes:
- Bombay Coast (Indian food)
- Burger King (open 24 hours)
- Santorini Greek Island Food (Greek food)
- Sunshine Market (convenience store)
- Tapioca Express
- Additional dining seating
- 24-hour study lounge with computer lab and group-study rooms
- Commuter student resources (including lockers, commuter kitchen, etc.)
- Expanded full-service post office
- Associated Students offices (undergraduate student government)
- Cross-Cultural Center and adjoining art space
- Communidad (meeting room)
- The One-Stop (student organization resource center)
- Price Center East Ballroom
- 84 additional student organization offices
- The Loft (nightclub and concert venue)
- Zanzibar Cafe (The Loft)
- Social lounge spaces
- Chase Bank
- Hair Salon 101
- Postal Center
- Another coffee shop
- Expanded General Store Co-op
- Expansion of Soft Reserves and Lecture Notes
The following is a list of stores and services once provided by the Price Center, and their replacements.
|Tia Molly's||2001||Mexican Food||Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill|
|Woks Up||2003||Asian Cuisine||Panda Express|
|Star Wraps||2004||Sandwiches and Wraps||Tacone Wraps|
|Tacone Wraps||2012||Sandwiches and Wraps||Panda Express (Additional Storefront Space)|
- Sierra, Tanya (May 13, 2008). "Price Center East gives UCSD new activity hub". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved November 26, 2009.
- Patringenaru, Ioana (May 19, 2008). "Campus Celebrates Opening of Price Center Expansion with Launch Party". UCSD. Retrieved November 26, 2009.
- Clark, Christine (May 12, 2009). "UC San Diego’s Price Center East Wins Architectural Award". UCSD. Retrieved November 26, 2009.
- The UCSD University Centers: Price Center and Student Center
- UCSD University Centers Expansion Homepage