Pride Shockwave 2005
|Pride Shockwave 2005|
|Promotion||Pride Fighting Championships|
|Date||December 31, 2005|
|Venue||Saitama Super Arena|
Pride Shockwave 2005 was a mixed martial arts event held by the Pride Fighting Championships at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan on December 31, 2005. The event included the finals of the Pride Welterweight and Lightwent tournaments that began at Pride Bushido 9, a rematch between Wanderlei Silva and Ricardo Arona for the Pride Middleweight Championship, and a main event between Olympic judokas Naoya Ogawa and Hidehiko Yoshida.
- Charles Bennett vs Ken Kaneko
- Bennett defeated Kaneko via submission (armbar) at 4:14 of round 1.
- Nakamura defeated Kondo via unanimous decision.
- Thompson defeated Silva via TKO (punches) at 1:28 of round 1.
- Kikuta defeated Takimoto via unanimous decision.
- Emelianenko defeated Nastula via submission (rear-naked choke) at 8:45 of round 1.
- Emelianenko defeated Martins via submission (punches) at 0:26 of round 1.
- Henderson defeated Bustamante via split decision to become the first Pride Welterweight Champion.
- Gomi defeated Sakurai via KO (punches) at 3:36 of round 1 to become the first Pride Lightweight Champion.
- Sakuraba defeated Minowa via technical submission (kimura) at 9:59 of round 1.
- Hunt defeated Filipović via split decision.
- Silva defeated Arona via split decision to retain the Pride Middleweight Championship.
- Yoshida defeated Ogawa via submission (armbar) at 6:04 of round 1. Both fighters were paid $2,000,000 for participating in this match, making it one of the highest-paying fights in MMA history.
Welterweight Tournament Bracket
Lightweight Tournament Bracket
- "Japanese icon Yoshida retires with loss to protege Nakamura". USA Today. April 25, 2010. Retrieved 2013-01-14.