Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
|Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series|
|Awarded for||Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series|
|Presented by||Academy of Television Arts & Sciences|
|Currently held by||Jeff Daniels,
The Newsroom (2013)
This is a list of the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series winners. Beginning with the 18th Emmys leading actors in drama have competed alone. However, these dramatic performances included actors from miniseries, telefilms, and guest performers competing against main cast competitors. Such instances are marked below.
- # – Indicates a performance in a Miniseries or Telefilm, prior to the category's creation.
- § – Indicates a performance as a guest performer, prior to the category's creation.
|Superlative||Lead Actor - Drama Series||Supporting Actor - Drama Series||Guest Actor - Drama Series||Overall|
|Actor with most awards||Dennis Franz||4||Stuart Margolin,
Michael Conrad, Larry Drake, Ray Walston, Aaron Paul
Charles S. Dutton,
|Actor with most nominations||Raymond Burr,
Peter Falk, Dennis Franz
|8||Will Geer, Bruce Weitz,
Ed Begley, Jr., Jimmy Smits
|6||Michael J. Fox||5||Jimmy Smits||12|
|Actor with most nominations
without ever winning
Hugh Laurie, Michael C. Hall, Jon Hamm
|6||Ed Begley, Jr.||Robert Morse||4||Ed Begley, Jr.,
Martin Sheen, Hugh Laurie, Michael C. Hall, Jon Hamm
|Television program with most wins||NYPD Blue||4||L.A. Law, The West Wing||4||The Practice||6||The Practice||8|
|Television program with most nominations||14||Hill Street Blues||16||ER||14||The West Wing, ER||28|
|Television program with most nominations without ever winning||Law & Order||8||ER||8||The Good Wife||8||Mad Men||17|
Award winners and nominations
- Early Emmy ceremonies did not have genre specific acting categories
- "Boone, Mike. "The Emmy List: Here's the Best in Television". The Montreal Gazette. Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Television Series Drama
- Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series