Prince Adalbert of Bavaria (1828–1875)
|Spouse||Infanta Amelia Philippina of Spain|
|Prince Ludwig Ferdinand
Isabella, Duchess of Genoa
|House||House of Wittelsbach|
|Father||Ludwig I of Bavaria|
|Mother||Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen|
19 July 1828|
|Died||21 September 1875
Prince Adalbert of Bavaria (German: Adalbert Wilhelm Georg Ludwig Prinz von Bayern) (Munich, 19 July 1828 – Nymphenburg Palace, 21 September 1875) was the ninth child and fourth son of Ludwig I of Bavaria and Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen.
In Madrid on 25 August 1856 he married Infanta Amelia Philippina of Spain (1834–1905), sixth daughter and eleventh child of Infante Francisco de Paula of Spain (a younger son of King Charles IV of Spain) and Princess Luisa Carlotta of Bourbon-Two Sicilies. They had five children :
- Prince Ludwig Ferdinand of Bavaria (1859–1949); married Infanta María de la Paz of Spain.
- Prince Alfons of Bavaria (1862–1933); married Princess Louise of Orleans, daughter of Ferdinand Philippe Marie, duc d'Alençon.
- Princess Isabella of Bavaria (1863–1924); married Thomas, 2nd Duke of Genoa
- Princess Elvira of Bavaria (1868–1943); married Rudolf von Wrbna-Kaunitz-Rietberg-Questenberg and Freudenthal.
- Princess Clara of Bavaria (1874–1941); unmarried.
It is often suggested that following his older brother Otto's death, Prince Adalbert became the heir presumptive to the throne of Greece. In fact, rights to the Greek succession were passed onto his other older brother Luitpold, who technically succeeded to the Greek throne in 1867. Due to the renunciation of all the rights to the Greek succession by King Ludwig III, at Luitpold's death the rights to the throne of Greece were inherited by his second son, Prince Leopold.
However, if it is proven that all legitimate descendants of Luitpold (barring those through King Ludwig III) are indeed extinct (discounting also the male descendants of prince Georg of Bavaria), Adalbert's male-line descendants could conceivably assume the claim to the throne of Greece.
- Die Wittelsbacher. Geschichte unserer Familie. Prestel Verlag, München, 1979