Prince Amedeo of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este
Prince Amedeo of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este (Amedeo Marie Joseph Carl Pierre Philippe Paola Marcus d'Aviano, born 21 February 1986) is a member of the Belgian Royal Family. He is the heir to the headship of the House of Austria-Este, a cadet branch of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine, and is sixth in line to the throne of Belgium.
Birth and family
Amedeo was born at the University Clinic St. Luc, Woluwe-St-Lambert, Belgium the first child of Lorenz, Archduke of Austria-Este and Princess Astrid of Belgium. His godparents are his uncle, King Philippe of Belgium and maternal grandmother, Queen Paola of Belgium. Amedeo himself is godfather to his cousin, the Duchess of Brabant. Amedeo has one younger brother Joachim (b. 1991) and three younger sisters: Maria Laura (b. 1988), Luisa Maria (b. 1995) and Laetitia Maria (b. 2003).
Education and career
He undertook primary school and the greater part of his secondary education at the strict Jesuit school Sint-Jan Berchmanscollege (founded 1604) in Brussels, popular with Belgian aristocracy and royalty. He finished his secondary education at Sevenoaks School in Kent, England between 2001 and 2004. Having finished his studies in Sevenoaks, the Prince spent a year in the Koninklijke Militaire School / École Royale Militaire (Royal Military Academy) of Belgium. In September 2005 he began his studies at the London School of Economics. He graduated from the LSE in 2008, and took a sabbatical before entering professional life.
From 2009 to 2012, he worked for Deloitte in New York City.
On 15 February 2014, the Belgian Royal Court announced the engagement of Prince Amedeo to Elisabetta 'Lili' Maria Rosboch von Wolkenstein.  Elisabetta was born in Roma, on 9th September 1987, as the only daughter of Italian film producer Nobile Ettore Rosboch von Wolkenstein and his wife, Countess Lilia de Smecchia, also film producer.
Since 2009, Elisabetta has worked in the cultural section of Bloomberg News.
Succession to the Belgian throne
In 1991 he obtained, along with his mother and younger siblings, succession rights to the Belgian throne. In 1993 his maternal grandfather acceded to the throne as King Albert II and he became third in Belgium's line of succession, following his uncle Philippe, Duke of Brabant, and his mother. Upon Philippe's marriage in 1999 the prospect of Amedeo eventually inheriting the throne substantially diminished, and the birth of a daughter and dynastic heir to Philippe in 2001 dropped his place in the order of succession down to fourth and later to seventh by the birth of Princess Eleonore, the youngest of Philippe's children.
The abdication on 21st July 2013 of his grandfather King Albert II of the Belgians led him to the 6th position.
He announced his engagement in February 2014. No Royal Decree giving the dynastic authorization of his wedding has been officially published in the Moniteur Belge before he married last 5th July, as forseen in Article 85 of the Belgian Constitution. No official communication was made on the matter and it will belong to a new Belgian government raised from the latest legislative elections on 25th May 2014, to consider officially the situation. But it can be considered unofficially that Prince Amedeo is no longer a member of the royal succession. A commentator of the military parade for La Une on 21th July 2014 (Belgian National Day) explained that the Royal Decree wasn't given because Amedeo didn't intentionnally ask for it and Amedeo is no longer to be considered a member of the succession .
Titles and styles
- 21 February 1986 – 2 December 1991: His Imperial and Royal Highness Archduke Amedeo of Austria-Este, Prince of Modena, Prince Imperial of Austria, Prince Royal of Hungary and Bohemia
- 2 December 1991 – 7 February 1996: His Imperial and Royal Highness Prince Amedeo of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este, Prince of Modena, Prince Imperial of Austria, Prince Royal of Hungary and Bohemia
- 7 February 1996 – present: His Imperial and Royal Highness Prince Amedeo of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este, Hereditary Prince of Modena, Prince Imperial of Austria, Prince Royal of Hungary and Bohemia
All the children of Princess Astrid and Archduke Lorenz, bear the title "Prince(ss) of Belgium" by Belgian Royal Decree of 2 December 1991, this in addition to their traditional Austro-Hungarian titles, i.e. "Archduke/Archduchess of Austria-Este, Prince(ss) Imperial of Austria, Prince(ss) Royal of Hungary". Internationally his abbreviated style is HI&RH Prince Amedeo of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este.
- 9th September 1987 - 5 July 2014: Nobile Elisabetta Maria Rosboch von Wolkenstein
- 5 July 2014 – present: Her Imperial and Royal Highness Elisabetta, Archduchess of Austria-Este, Hereditary Princess of Modena, Princess Imperial of Austria, Princess Royal of Hungary and Bohemia
For the moment, the government is in "routine affairs" until the formation of a new one according to recent elections . There can't be any nomination as "Princess of Belgium" through a Royal Decree. It remains pending.
- 2004-2005 Royal Military Academy (Social & Military Sciences)
- September 2005 – September 2007: Belgian Land Component, Warrant-Officer as Candidate-officer (Adjudant Candidat-Officier), after his formation at Royal Military Academy
- September 2007 – : Belgian Land Component, Second lieutenant (as a Reserve officer) of the Regiment Carabiniers Prins Boudewijn – Grenadiers
|Ancestors of Elisabetta Rosboch von Wolkentein|
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels: Furstliche Hauser Band XVI. Limburg an der Lahn: C. A. Starke Verlag. 2001. pp. 90–91, 524–529. ISBN 3-7980-0824-8.
- Regine N. "La rentrée scolaire des petits-enfants du Roi Albert II" 29 August 2008. Retrieved 2 July 2009.
-  Announcement of the engagement.
- Broadcast "Place Royale", RTL-TVI, Facebook info
- Prins Amedeo en Lili trouwen in de zon
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels: Furstliche Hauser Band XIX. Limburg an der Lahn: C. A. Starke Verlag. 2011. pp. 6–8. ISBN 978-3-7980-0849-6.
- RTBF, La Une, Belgian National Day military parade, 21th July 2014 afternoon
- Belgian Defense Website, Prince Amedeo's officer swear on 27 september 2007, Photos 1, 2, 3
Prince Amedeo of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-EsteBorn: 21 February 1986
|Lines of succession|
The Archduchess of Austria-Este
|Line of succession to the Belgian throne
Archduchess Maria Laura
The Archduke of Austria-Este
|Line of succession to the Austro-Hungarian throne
|First in line||Line of succession to Austria-Este