Prince Augustus Ferdinand of Prussia
Prince August Ferdinand of Prussia (German: August Ferdinand von Preußen; 23 May 1730, Berlin – 2 May 1813, Berlin) was a Prussian Prince and general, and Herrenmeister ("Master of the Knights") of the Bailiwick of Brandenburg of the Order of Saint John. He belonged to the House of Hohenzollern, and was the youngest son of Frederick William I of Prussia by his wife Queen Sophia Dorothea.
He was the youngest child of King Frederick William I of Prussia and his wife Sophia Dorothea of Hanover. He was also a younger brother of King Frederick the Great (Frederick II of Prussia), Queen Louisa Ulrika of Sweden, and Wilhelmine Margravine of Brandenburg-Bayreuth.
Already at the age of 5, he joined the Infantry regiment „Kronprinz“. In 1740, his brother named him commander of Infantry regiment Nr 34. In 1756, he became Major General and accompanied his brother the King on his campaigns in Saxony, Bohemia and Silesia. He fought in the Battle of Breslau and the Battle of Leuthen. But in 1758, bad health forced him to leave the army.
On September 12, 1763, Ferdinand was elected as Master of the Knights of the Bailiwick of Brandenburg of the Order of Saint John, a post he held until 1812.
Marriage and children
He married his niece, Margravine Elisabeth Louise of Brandenburg-Schwedt, on 27 September 1755. She was a daughter of his older sister Sophia Dorothea and her husband Margrave Frederick William of Brandenburg-Schwedt. Despite this family tie, she was only eight years younger than he.
They had seven children:
- Friederike Elisabeth Dorothea Henriette Amalie, Princess of Prussia (1761–1773)
- Friedrich Heinrich Emil Karl, Prince of Prussia (1769–1773)
- Friederike Dorothea Luise Philippine, Princess of Prussia (1770–1836), married to Prince Antoni Radziwiłł. Had issue.
- Friedrich Christian Heinrich Ludwig (1771–1790)
- Friedrich Ludwig Christian (1772–1806), killed in the Battle of Saalfeld. No issue.
- Friedrich Paul Heinrich August, Prince of Prussia (1776)
- Friedrich Wilhelm Heinrich August, Prince of Prussia (1779–1843), never married.
Augustus died in Berlin on 2 May 1813. Elisabeth Louise would die seven years later, on 10 February 1820.
- Lundy, Darryl. The Peerage: August Ferdinand Prinz von Preußen. Retrieved 16 December 2009.
Prince Augustus Ferdinand of PrussiaBorn: 23 May 1730 Died: 2 May 1813
Karl, Prinz in Preußen, Markgraf zu Brandenburg
|Herrenmeister (Grand Master) of the Order of Saint John
Friedrich Carl Alexander, Prinz von Preußen
- Lundy, Darryl. "The Peerage: August Ferdinand Prinz von Preußen". Retrieved 16 December 2009.
- Family Tree