Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland
Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland (Carl Philip Edmund Bertil; born 13 May 1979), is the only son and the second of three children of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden. As of 2013[update], Prince Carl Philip is third in the line of succession, after his older sister, Crown Princess Victoria, and his niece and goddaughter Estelle.
Early life and education 
Born Crown Prince of Sweden, he retained his title and first place in succession for seven months until 1 January 1980 when he was stripped of both by a change in the Act of Succession to introduce absolute primogeniture. The Duke was christened at the Royal Palace Church on 31 August 1979. His godparents are Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland, Prince Leopold of Bavaria, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, and Princess Birgitta of Sweden.
During 1984–1986, Prince Carl Philip attended the Västerled parish preschool. In the autumn of 1986, he started school at Smedslättsskolan in Bromma which he attended at junior level. For the intermediate level, the Prince attended Ålstensskolan in Bromma, proceeding from there, in the autumn of 1992, to senior level at Enskilda Gymnasiet in Stockholm. In the autumn of 1994 Prince Carl Philip enrolled at Kent School. The Prince then continued his studies in a science programme at Lundsbergs upper secondary school. He graduated in the spring of 1999. Recently, he studied graphic design at the Rhode Island School of Design where he worked on a museum identity design project. In 2011, Prince Carl Philip finished his studies in Agricultural and Rural Management at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences in Alnarp. 
Activities and duties 
A member of the House of Bernadotte, Prince Carl Philip undertakes royal duties on behalf of his father, King Carl XVI Gustaf. He has acted as royal representative in the absence of his father and his older sister, Crown Princess Victoria.
Prince Carl Philip has been a scout and is fond of outdoor life. He is keen on sport and athletics, especially football, swimming, and skiing. In 2003, he completed the historic Swedish "Vasaloppet", the longest cross country ski race in the world. Carl Philip also enjoys car racing, a passion he inherited from his great-uncle and godfather, Prince Bertil, and has a licence to compete. Currently Prince Carl Philip is taking part in the racing series Porsche Carrera Cup Scandinavia in a Porsche 911 GT3.
The Prince completed his military service at the Amphibious Battalion at Vaxholm's Coast Artillery Regiment as a combat boat commander (Combat Boat 90) in the autumn of 2000. In December 2002, the Prince was promoted to fänrik (midshipman), and in 2004 to the rank of löjtnant (sub-lieutenant) in the Swedish Navy. In 2007 and 2008 he went to the Swedish National Defense College. The course was divided in three weeks autumn 2007 and three weeks spring 2008. After that course he was appointed kapten in the Swedish Navy (lieutenant).
With a great interest for design and drawing, the Prince began studying graphic design in Stockholm in 2003, studies which he continues still. In December 2003, for Queen Silvia's 60th birthday, he designed the cover for a CD of the music of Tchaikovsky's ballet The Nutcracker, which was released to honour Her Majesty's landmark birthday (the proceeds from it goes to the World Childhood Foundation, an organisation founded by Queen Silvia). In 2004, the Prince created a calendar, together with an advertising agency, that will be sold to benefit the same organisation.
Personal life 
Prince Carl Philip dated Emma Pernald from 1999. Pernald worked at a PR firm for several years. However, the prince and Pernald broke off their relationship in March 2009. She revealed in the Swedish magazine Expressen that she and the prince mutually decided to go their separate ways. Pernald made no further comment as to the reason for the break-up.
In April 2010, Prince Carl Philip was linked in the press with model Sofia Hellqvist. In August 2010, Royal Court spokeswoman, Nina Eldh, confirmed the relationship between Carl Philip and Hellqvist in a statement released by the palace.
Titles, styles, and honours 
Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Varmland
|Reference style||His Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
Titles and styles 
- 13 May 1979 – 31 December 1979: His Royal Highness The Crown Prince of Sweden, Duke of Värmland
- 1 January 1980 – present: His Royal Highness Prince Carl Philip of Sweden, Duke of Värmland
Swedish honours 
- Knight of the Order of Charles XIII (since birth, 13 May 1979; as HRH is not a member of the Swedish Rite of Freemasonry it is not worn)
- Knight with Collar of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (13 May 1997)
Foreign honours 
- Brazil: Grand Cross of the Order of Rio Branco (2007)  
- Estonia: Order of the Cross of Terra Mariana, First Class (18/01/2011)  
- Finland: Grand Cross of the Order of the White Rose of Finland (17 April 2012) 
- Germany : Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (2003)
- Greece: Grand Cross of the Order of Honour (21/05/2008)
- Jordan: Grand Cordon of the Order of the Star of Jordan (2003) 
- Latvia : Grand Officer of the Order of the Three Stars (2005) 
- Luxembourg: Grand Cross of the Order of Adolphe of Nassau (04/2008)  
- Malaysia: Commander of the Order of the Crown of Malaysia (P.S.M. - 2005) 
- Norway: Grand Cross of the Royal Norwegian Order of St. Olav (2005)
- Romania : Grand Cross of the Order of Faithful Service (2008)
See also 
- "Prince Carl Philip on his university diploma in Agricultural and Rural Management". Swedish Royal Court. 2011-12-XX. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- Streib, Lauren (27 May 2008). "The 20 Hottest Young Royals – 9. Prince Carl Philip". Forbes. Retrieved 19 June 2010.
- Squires, Nick (8 April 2010). "Swedish prince has relationship with glamour model". The Daily Telegraph (UK). Retrieved 19 June 2010.
- Noblesse et Royautés, Royal family attending Victoria's wedding, 19/06/2010, Carl Philip & Daniel
- HKH Hertigens av Värmland serafimervapen imageshack.us
- Riddare/Ledamot/av andliga ståndet och Kommendör av Kungl. Maj:ts Orden R/LoKavKMO medalj.nu
- State visit of Lula da Silva in 2007, ANP Photo of Victoria, Carl Philip & Madeleine
- Insignia of the Order of Rio Branco
- DECRETO DE 5 DE SETEMBRO DE 2007 - website JusBrasil
- Estonian State Decorations, Carl Philip - website of the President of Estonia (Estonian)
- Swedish Royal Website (Swedish), Gala dinner with photos 1-6-7
- "Noblesse et Royautés" website (French), State visit of Estonian presidential couple in Sweden (18-20/01/2011)
- Blog "Scandinavian Royals", Photo of Daniel and Carl-Philipp wearing the order
- Gallery on www.theroyalforums.com, State visit of President Johannes Rau in Sweden in 2003 : Carl Philip's photo
- Gala dinner during the state visit of Greek President Karolos Papoulias (21/05/2008)
- State visit of Jordan in Sweden (2003), Photo of Prince Carl Philip with Princess Madeleine, both wearing the order
- State visit of Jordan in Sweden (2003), Photo of Princess Liliane with Carl Philip, Madeleine & Victoria
- State visit of Latvia in Sweden (2005), Gala dinner, Carl Philip's photo
- Swedish Royal website (Swedish), State visit of Grand-Dukes of Luxembourg in Sweden, gala dinner 15/04/2008
- Luxembourgish Grand-Ducal website (French), State visit of Grand-Dukes of Luxembourg in Sweden, gala dinner 15/04/2008
- AMP Picture, State visit of Grand-Dukes of Luxembourg in Sweden, gala dinner on 15/04/2008
- theroyalforums.com : Photo of Prince Carl Philip with Princesses Madeleine & Liliane
- Recipients of Order of Faithful Service (excel file)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland|
- Royal House of Sweden
- The Royal Court of Sweden: Prince Carl Philip
- Bernadotte and Galliera princely inheritance (in Swedish)
Prince Carl Philip, Duke of VärmlandBorn: 13 May 1979
Title last held byCarl Gustaf
|Crown Prince of Sweden
Title last held byPrince Carl Adolf
|Duke of Värmland
1979 – present
|Lines of succession|
The Duchess of Östergötland
|Line of succession to the Swedish throne
The Duchess of Hälsingland