Prince Carlo, Duke of Castro
Prince Carlo of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, Duke of Castro (born 24 February 1963) is one of two claimants to the headship of the House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies.
HRH Prince Carlo of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, Duke of Castro,
|Reference style||His Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
Early life and education
Carlo was born at Saint-Raphaël, Var, France, the only son of Ferdinand, Duke of Castro, and his wife, Chantal de Chevron-Villette. He was baptised in France with the names Charles Marie Bernarde Gennaro. He generally uses the Italian form of his name Carlo.
Carlo was educated firstly at the Institute of the Marist Fathers at Toulon, France. He went on to study at a namesake of the Collège Stanislas de Paris located in Nice, France. After studying at an international university in Paris, he spent three years working for a public relations firm in Manhattan. He is fluent in Italian, French and English.
Headship of the House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies
In 2008, Carlo succeeded his father as claimant to the headship of the House of the Two Sicilies. As head of the house, he uses the title Duke of Castro.
Carlo's supporters state that since his grandfather's brother Infante Carlos renounced his rights and those of his successors to succession to the throne of the Two Sicilies in 1900, the headship of the house passed to Carlo's grandfather Ranieri, Duke of Castro, then to Carlo's father Ferdinand, Duke of Castro, and most recently to Carlo. Infante Carlos's claims to be the Duke of Calabria and head of the House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies are recognized by the Spanish King Juan Carlos of Spain (since they are cousins), while the other royal families (and all others Bourbon-Two Sicilies members) recognize the Castro claim.
Carlo claims the disputed Grand Mastership of the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George, the Order of Saint Ferdinand and Merit, the Order of St. Januarius, the Order of Saint George and Reunion, and the Royal Order of Francis I.
Orders and decorations
Carlo has been decorated with a number of dynastic and state honours. They include:
- Knight Grand Cross of Merit of the Italian Republic – Italian Republic.
- Bailiff Knight Grand Cross of Honour and Devotion – Sovereign Military Order of Malta.
- Knight Grand Cross of the Equestrian Order of Saint Agatha – Republic of San Marino.
- Syrian Order of Outstanding Merit (First Class) – Syrian Arab Republic.
- Lebanese Order of Merit (Extraordinary Class) – Lebanese Republic.
- Order of Unification – 22 May (First Class with Collar) – Republic of Yemen.
- Knight Grand Cross of the National Order of Juan Mora Fernandez – Republic of Costa Rica.
- Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Vasco Nunez Balboa – Republic of Panama
- Knight Grand Cross of the Most Devoted Royal Household Order - Kingdom of Tonga.
- Knight Grand Cross with Silver Star of the Royal Order of Danilo I – Royal House of Montenegro.
- Knight Grand Cross of the Patriarchal Order of the Holy Cross of Jerusalem – Melkite Greek Catholic Church.
Marriage and issue
They have two children:
- HRH Princess Maria-Carolina Chantal Edoarda Beatrice Januaria of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, Duchess of Palermo (born in Rome in 2003)
- HRH Princess Maria Chiara Amalia Carola Louise Carmen of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, Duchess of Capri (born in Rome 2005)
On 14 April 2011, the Duke and Duchess of Castro attended the joint christening of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark's twin children, Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine at the chapel of the Church of Holmen in Copenhagen, Denmark. Carlo is one of six godparents to Princess Josephine. The Duke of Castro is also a godfather of Prince Gaston of Orléans.
Titles from birth
- 24 February 1963 – 13 January 1973 His Royal Highness The Duke of Noto
- 13 January 1973 – 20 March 2008 His Royal Highness The Duke of Calabria
- 20 March 2008 – present His Royal Highness The Duke of Castro
|Ancestors of Prince Carlo, Duke of Castro|
- (Disputed) Headship of the House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies In Defense of (Real) History: Who is the Head of the Royal House of Bourbon of the Two Sicilies? by Luigi Mendola.
-  The Two Sicilies Succession.
- The Succession to the Headship of the The Two Sicilies Royal House
- "Le Onorificenze". Website: Presidenza Della Repubblica (in Italian). Office of the President of the Italian Republic. 1 May 2011. Retrieved 5 June 2011. "BORBONE DELLE DUE SICILIE S.A.R. il Principe Carlo, Cavaliere di Gran Croce Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana, Data del conferimento: 29 July 1996. English Translation: Borbon of the Two Sicilies, H.R.H The Prince Carlo, Knight Grand Cross in the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic, Date conferred: 29 July 1996."
- Independent Catholic News
- Boubon-Two Sicilies Royal Family[dead link]
- Official Website of the Royal House of Bourbon Two Siciilies
- Official Website of the Grand Magistry of the Constantinian Order
- Official Website of the British and Irish Delegation of the Constantinian Order
Prince Carlo, Duke of Castro
Cadet branch of the House of BourbonBorn: 24 February 1963
|Duke of Castro
20 March 2008 – present
|Titles in pretence|
|— TITULAR —
King of the Two Sicilies
2008 – present
Reason for succession failure:
Italian Unification under the House of Savoy
Prince Antoine of Bourbon-Two Sicilies
Prince Pedro of
|Line of succession to the
throne of the Two Sicilies (Calabria line)
Prince Antoine of
|Line of succession to
the French throne (Legitimist)
c. 26th position
Adrian de Bourbon