|Other appellation(s)||Powder, Princess Chunk, Captain Chunk|
Voorhees, New Jersey
|Died||November 21, 2010
Voorhees Township, New Jersey
|Weight||44 lbs (around 22 lbs before death)|
Prince Chunk (also known as Princess Chunk and Captain Chunk, real name: Powder) (1998 - November 21, 2010) was a domestic shorthair cat, who at one time was alleged to weigh forty-four pounds (some two pounds short of the world record). He was found in Voorhees, New Jersey, on July 26, 2008, by Animal Control, who nicknamed him "Captain Chunk". After a search for his owner, it was found that his name was Powder and that he was abandoned by Donna Oklatner, an elderly Voorhees resident. Oklatner claimed she couldn't afford to take care of the cat when she lost her home in foreclosure proceedings.
He was later adopted from the Camden County Animal Shelter in New Jersey by Donna Damiani, and in August 2008 his weight was already down to 22 pounds.
He made television appearances on Live with Regis and Kelly, Good Morning America, Fox News, and MSNBC, based on his reported weight, but reliable sources of the cat's definitive weight in July 2008 are not available. One paper reported that "shelter officials said they were perplexed by the discrepancy", after the Damiani family found that the cat weighed just over 22 pounds, "days after" receiving him.
Prince Chunk died on November 21, 2010, due to heart disease.
- "Owner comes forward for Princess Chunk (or is it Prince Chunk?)". Courier-Post. 2008-07-31. Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- "Not so Chunk-y? New owner says fat cat's weight is down to 22 pounds". New York Daily News. August 28, 2008. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- "Fat Cat's Owner Found; Lost Home to Foreclosure". FOXNews.com. 2008-07-31. Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- "Vet: 44-pound cat is a he; real name 'Powder'". The Philadelphia Inquirer. 2008-07-31. Retrieved 2008-07-31.[dead link]
- Shapiro, Richard (March 14, 2009). "Famed fat cat Chunk still living (and eating) like a king". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2010-06-09.
- Shapiro, Richard (November 26, 2010). "Prince Chunk, New Jersey cat that weighed as much as 44 pounds, dies". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2010-11-27.
|This felid-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|