Prince Frederick William of Hesse-Kassel
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (March 2009)|
|Prince Frederick William|
|Langrave of Hesse-Kassel|
|Spouse||Grand Duchess Alexandra Nikolaevna of Russia
Princess Anna of Prussia
Prince Frederick William
Elisabeth, Hereditary Princess of Anhalt
Prince Frederick Charles
|House||House of Hesse-Kassel|
|Father||William, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel|
|Mother||Princess Louise Charlotte of Denmark|
|Born||26 November 1820|
|Died||14 October 1884(aged 63)|
Friedrich Wilhelm Georg Adolf, Landgrave of Hesse-Cassel (German: Friedrich Wilhelm Georg Adolf von Hessen-Kassel; 26 November 1820 – 14 October 1884) was the only son of Wilhelm I, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel-Rumpenheim and Princess Louise Charlotte of Denmark.
He is important dynastically as a candidate for both the headship of the Hesse-Kassel dynasty (through his father) and for the Danish throne (through his mother).
When Frederick William, deposed Elector of Hesse died in 1875, his sons were excluded from succession, because of his morganatic marriage. It was Frederick William who succeeded him as titular Elector of Hesse.
He was born in Copenhagen, moved to Denmark at the age of three, and grew up there. He attended the university in Bonn, and then began a military career.
His first wife was Alexandra Nikolaevna of Russia (1825–1844), the daughter of Emperor Nicholas I of Russia and Charlotte of Prussia. They had one son, born three months prematurely, who died the day of his birth:
- Prince Wilhelm (1844–1844)
- Prince Frederick William III of Hesse (1854–1888); never married; died at sea on a voyage from Batavia to Singapore.
- Princess Elisabeth Alexandra Charlotte of Hesse (1861–1955); married Leopold, Hereditary Prince of Anhalt and had issue.
- Prince Alexander Frederick of Hesse (1863–1945); married Baroness Gisela Stockhorner von Starheim and had issue.
- Prince Frederick Charles of Hesse, King of Finland (1868–1940); married Princess Margaret of Prussia and had issue.
- Princess Marie-Polyxene of Hesse (1872–1882).
- Princess Sybille Marguerite of Hesse (1877–1925); married Baron Friedrich von Vincke (divorced 1923).
|Titles in pretence|
Frederick William I
|— TITULAR —
Elector of Hesse
Frederick William III