Prince Charles of Hesse and by Rhine
|Prince Charles of Hesse and by Rhine|
|Spouse||Princess Elizabeth of Prussia|
|House||House of Hesse|
|Father||Louis II, Grand Duke of Hesse|
|Mother||Wilhelmine of Baden|
23 April 1809|
|Died||20 March 1877
|Grand Ducal Family of
Hesse and by Rhine
|Maria Alexandrovna, Empress of Russia|
|Anna, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin|
In 1836, Charles married Princess Elisabeth of Prussia (1815 - 1885), daughter of Prince Wilhelm of Prussia (brother of Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia) and Maria Anna of Hesse-Homburg. They were unhappy together as Charles preferred life in the military to spending time with his family.
On 19 March 1877, Queen Victoria received a telegram from her daughter Alice, wife of Charles' son Louis, saying that they "feared the worst". The following evening, news reached the Queen from Alice that Charles had "passed away quite peacefully after 6." The Queen appears to have been affected by Charles' death, referring to him in her journal upon his death as "dear excellent Prince Charles of Hesse", later repeating, "So grieved and feel deeply for poor Prince Charles."
- HRH Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse (12 September 1837 - 13 March 1892); Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine (13 June 1877-13 March 1892); married, firstly, Princess Alice of the United Kingdom and had issue. Married, secondly, Alexandrina Hutten-Czapska; annulled.
- HGDH Prince Heinrich of Hesse and by Rhine (1838-1900); married, firstly, Baroness Caroline of Nidda and had issue. Married, secondly, Baroness Emilie of Dornberg and had issue.
- HGDH Princess Anna of Hesse and by Rhine (1843-1865); married Friedrich Franz II, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and had issue.
- HGDH Prince Wilhelm of Hesse and by Rhine (1845 - 1900); married Baroness Josephine of Lichtenberg and had issue.
- "Queen Victoria's Journals". Princess Beatrice's copies. RA VIC/MAIN/QVJ(W). 19 March 1877.
- "Queen Victoria's Journals". Princess Beatrice's copies. RA VIC/MAIN/QVJ(W). 20 March 1877.