Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein
Prince Nikolaus in 2010
|Spouse||Princess Margaretha of Luxembourg|
|Father||Franz Joseph II, Prince of Liechtenstein|
|Mother||Countess Georgina Norberta of Wilczek|
24 October 1947 |
|Liechtensteiner Princely Family|
Prince Nikolaus Ferdinand Maria Josef Raphael of Liechtenstein (born 24 October 1947) is the non-resident Ambassador of Liechtenstein to the Holy See. He was Ambassador of Liechtenstein in Belgium until September 2010, when replaced by the incumbent Kurt Jäger. Prince Nikolaus was born in Zurich as the third son of Franz Joseph II, Prince of Liechtenstein, and his wife, Countess Georgina von Wilczek.
Marriage and issue
He married on 20 March 1982, at Notre Dame Cathedral in Luxembourg, Princess Margaretha of Luxembourg, (born 15 May 1957, Betzdorf Castle, Betzdorf, Luxembourg). She is the youngest daughter of Jean, Grand Duke of Luxembourg. For the time being, this is the last dynastically equal marriage between two sovereign houses currently reigning in Europe.
They had four children:
- Prince Leopold Emmanuel Jean Marie of Liechtenstein (Brussels, 20 May 1984 - Brussels, 20 May 1984).
- Princess Maria-Anunciata Astrid Joséphine Veronica of Liechtenstein (b. Brussels-Uccle, 12 May 1985).
- Princess Marie-Astrid Nora Margarita Veronica of Liechtenstein (b. Brussels-Uccle, 26 June 1987).
- Prince Josef-Emanuel Leopold Marie of Liechtenstein (b. Brussels-Uccle, 7 May 1989).
He was Chief Scout (German: Korpsführer) of Fürstlich Liechtensteinische Pfadfinderkorps St. Georg from 1971 to 1989. Today Prince Nikolaus is honorary member of the Scout association. Prince Nikolaus spoke at the European Forum of Guild-Scouts in Grossarl in 1990 about the topic of hunting and nature protection.
- Liechtenstein : Grand Star of the Order of Merit of the Principality of Liechtenstein. 
- Liechtenstein : Commemorative Medal on the Occasion of the 70th Birthday of His Serene Highness Prince Franz Joseph II (16/08/1976).
- Belgium : Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown. 
- Luxembourg : Grand Cross of the Order of Adolphe of Nassau (1982). 
- Luxembourg : Commemorative Silver Jubilee Medal of His Royal Highness The Grand Duke Jean (12 November 1989).
- Austria : Grand Decoration of Honour in Silver with Sash for Services to the Republic of Austria (1992). 
- Sovereign Military Order of Malta : Knight of Justice in minority (1950) - Knight of Honour and Devotion (1968). 
|Ancestors of Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein|
- Maria-Pia Kothbauer, Princess of Liechtenstein - Liechtenstein's Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to Austria and the Czech Republic
- Prince Stefan of Liechtenstein - Liechtenstein's Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to Germany
- Liechtenstein State Directory (in German)
- Portal of the Principality of Liechtenstein - Embassy of Brussels
- "Geschichte der liechtensteinischen Pfadfinderbewegung" (in German). Pfadfinder und Pfadfinderinnen Liechtensteins. Retrieved 2008-01-29.
- "Über unseren Verband" (in German). Pfadfinder und Pfadfinderinnen Liechtensteins. Retrieved 2008-01-29.
- "themen" (in German). Europa-Forum Großarl. Retrieved 2008-01-30.
- Seeger Press, Photo of Prince Nikolaus and Family at the Beatification of Emperor Charles I of Austria
- Military Collection
- Noblesse et Royautés, Guillaume of Luxembourg's wedding : gala dinner, Photo of Margaretha & Nikolaus, showing him wearing the sash and star of the Order of Adolph of Nassau, AND, the star of Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown of Belgium
- Royalement Blog, Bal in the early 1980s, Photos of Carl Christian & Nikolaus wearing the Order of Adolphe of Nassau.
- Belga Pictures, Photo showing Princess Margaretha and her husband Nikolaus of Liechtenstein wearing the order decorations during Grand-Dukes of Luxembourg's state visit in Belgium in 2007 (Gala diner gallery)
- Parliamentary question, page=930
- www.chivalricorders.org - Sovereign Military Order of Malta
Prince Nikolaus of LiechtensteinBorn: 24 October 1947
|Lines of succession|
|Line of succession to
the Liechtensteiner throne