Richard, 6th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
|The Prince in Stockholm at Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden's wedding celebrations, June 2010|
|Predecessor||Prince Gustav Albrecht|
|Heir apparent||Prince Gustav|
|Spouse||Princess Benedikte of Denmark|
|Richard Casimir Karl August Robert Konstantin|
|Father||Gustav Albrecht, 5th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg|
|Mother||Margareta Fouché d'Otrante|
29 October 1934 |
Richard Casimir Karl August Robert Konstantin, 6th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (born 29 October 1934 in Giessen, Germany) is the head of the House of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg. He is the son of senior Nazi officer Prince Gustav Albrecht, and Margareta Fouché d'Otrante.
Richard Casimir Karl August Robert Konstantin is the eldest son of Gustav Albrecht, the 5th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, a highly decorated Nazi officer declared missing in 1944 and, for extralegal purposes of hereditary succession, only declared dead in 1969. Richard was raised in Sweden with his maternal grandfather, the Duke of Otrante, at Elghammar Castle. He attended the boarding schools Viggbyholm and Sigtuna.
Having studied forest science at the University of Göttingen in Hann.-Münden and at Munich University, Prince Richard obtained his forestry diploma at Hann.-Münden and took his post- graduate training as Forstrferendar in North Rhine Westphalia. He obtained a degree as Assessor des Forstdienstes after passing the second forestry examination taken by the North Rhine Westphalian State Forestry Service.
In July 2003, Prince Richard underwent surgery for treatment of prostate cancer; previously, he had undergone treatment for skin cancer.
Richard married Princess Benedikte of Denmark at Fredensborg Palace Church on 3 February 1968. She is the second daughter of Frederick IX of Denmark and Ingrid of Sweden. The couple is living at Berleburg Castle. His son, Prince Sebastian Fredrik Zu Sayn-Wittgenstein Berleburg, currently works for Standard Chartered as an investment banker.
Children and grandchildren
- The Hereditary Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (Gustav Frederik Philip Richard; born 12 January 1969)
- Princess Alexandra Rosemarie Ingrid Benedikte (born 20 November 1970). On 6 June 1998 at Gråsten Palace, she was married to Count Jefferson von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth. The couple has two children:
- Count Friedrich Richard Oscar Jefferson von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth (born 14 September 1999).
- Countess Ingrid Alexandra Irma Astrid Benedikte von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth (born 16 August 2003).
- Princess Nathalie Xenia Margarete Benedikte (born 2 May 1975). On 27 May 2010, she was married to Alexander Johannsmann. The couple has one child:
- Konstantin Gustav Heinrich Richard Johannsmann (born 24 July 2010).
- Knight of the Order of the Elephant (R.E.)
- Sweden : Commander Grand Cross of the Order of the Polar Star.
- Spain : Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic (15/03/1980).
Richard, 6th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-BerleburgBorn: 1934
|Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg||Incumbent