Princess Alexandra Middle School
|Princess Alexandra School|
|Hay River, Northwest Territories, X0E 0R8, Canada|
|School board||Hay River District Education Authority,
South Slave Divisional Education Council
|Area trustee||Terrence Courtorieille (Chair, Hay River DEA)|
|Language||English, South Slavey|
|Homepage||Princess Alexandra School|
Princess Alexandra School is a school located in Hay River, Northwest Territories, Canada providing public education for students in grades 4 through 7. The administration of the school is the responsibility of the South Slave Divisional Education Council (SSDEC).
The school is named after Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Lady Ogilvy, a cousin to Queen Elizabeth II. The school was officially opened by the royal after its construction was completed in summer 1967.
From the website of the SSDEC:
- Princess Alexandra School is a grade 4 - 7 middle school. We strive to provide challenging opportunities for all students, while at the same time, focusing on creating a :positive learning environment. We encourage excellence in student leadership and student participation in a broad range of curricular and extra-curricular activities :throughout the school year. [The school] is committed to providing a student centered environment in which every child will have the opportunity to develop intellectually, :physically, socially, and emotionally. We believe that every child can be successful in achieving their educational potential as the strive to create their future.
Recognition and awards
- In August 2012, Princess Alexandra Literacy Coach Dorie Hanson was awarded an Excellent in Education Award by the South Slave Divisional Education Council for her work in contributing to the ongoing literacy improvements being experienced at the school
- "Our Schools: South Slave Divisional Education Council - Creating Futures". Ssdec.nt.ca. Retrieved 2012-10-01.
- "Home". Ssdec.nt.ca. Retrieved 2012-10-01.
- Northern News Services (2012-09-03). "Excellence in education recognized". Nnsl.com. Retrieved 2012-10-01.
- Posted: Aug 31, 2012 5:47 PM CT (2012-09-01). "Literacy test scores improving for students in South Slave, N.W.T. - North - CBC News". Cbc.ca. Retrieved 2012-10-01.
- Princess Alexandra at the South Slave Divisional Education Council