Princess Alexandrine of Prussia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
Alexandrine, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (born Princess Alexandrine of Prussia; 23 February 1803 – 21 April 1892) was the wife and consort to Paul Frederick, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin as well as the daughter of Frederick William III of Prussia and Louise of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.
Alexandrine was the seventh child and fourth daughter of Frederick William III of Prussia and his wife Louise of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. She was a younger sister of Frederick William IV of Prussia, Wilhelm I of Prussia, and Charlotte, Empress of Russia.
In 25 May 1822, she married Paul Frederick of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. He succeeded his grandfather as Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin in 1837.
They had three children:
- Frederick Francis II, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg (1823–1883)
- Luise (1824–1859) married Hugo, Prince of Windisch-Grätz
- Wilhelm (1827–1879) married Princess Alexandrine of Prussia, daughter of Prince Albert of Prussia
Her marriage was generally considered unhappy; Paul Frederick was a military man who had little time or interest in his wife and family. Alexandrine, by contrast, was a devoted mother who tenderly raised her children and actively cultivated their cultural pursuits. Alexandrine herself was very cultured but was also described as a stereotypically-remote German princess. She was not considered an intellectual but attended scholarly lectures and read many books.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
- Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandrine of Prussia (1803–1822)
- Her Royal Highness The Hereditary Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (1822–1837)
- Her Royal Highness The Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (1837–1842)
- Her Royal Highness The Dowager Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (1842–1892)
Alexandrine's ancestors in three generations
Princess Alexandrine of PrussiaBorn: 23 February 1803 Died: 21 April 1892
Title last held byPrincess Louise of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg
as Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
|Grand Duchess consort of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
1 February 1837 – 7 March 1842
Title next held byPrincess Augusta Reuss of Köstritz
|This article related to German royalty (1871–1919) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|