Princess Elisabeth of Prussia
|Princess Charles of Hesse and by Rhine|
|Spouse||Prince Charles of Hesse and by Rhine|
|Issue||Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse
Anna, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
|House||House of Hohenzollern (by birth)
House of Hesse-Darmstadt (by marriage)
|Father||Prince Wilhelm of Prussia|
|Mother||Landgravine Marie Anna of Hesse-Homburg|
|Born||18 June 1815
|Died||21 March 1885
Darmstadt-Bessungen, Darmstadt, Grand Duchy of Hesse
Princess Elisabeth of Prussia (18 June 1815 – 21 March 1885) was the second daughter of Prince Wilhelm of Prussia and Landgravine Marie Anna of Hesse-Homburg and a granddaughter of Frederick William II of Prussia. She was the mother-in-law of Princess Alice of the United Kingdom, second daughter of Queen Victoria. Prince Philip is her great-great-grandson (son of her great-granddaughter, Princess Alice of Battenberg).
Elisabeth was born in Berlin to Prince Wilhelm of Prussia and Landgravine Marie Anna of Hesse-Homburg. Through her father, she was a granddaughter of Frederick William II of Prussia. Through her mother, she was a granddaughter of Frederick V, Landgrave of Hesse-Homburg. She was the fifth of seven surviving children.
Elisabeth married Prince Charles of Hesse and by Rhine, second son of Louis II, Grand Duke of Hesse, on 22 October 1836 in Berlin. Their marriage was reportedly stormy; he denounced her as ugly and dull while she found him cold and unloving.
Elisabeth had good relationship with her daughter-in-law, Princess Alice of the United Kingdom. In her later years, Elisabeth gained more weight and became obese. She lived to see her son ascend the throne as Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine on 13 June 1877 and to see Louis and Alice's two eldest daughters marry. Elisabeth and Charles' first great-grandchild, Princess Alice of Battenberg, was also born during her lifetime. She died in the borough of Darmstadt-Bessungen at the age of 69, outliving her husband by eight years.
- HRH Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse (12 September 1837 - 13 March 1892); Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine (r. 13 June 1877 – 13 March 1892); married, firstly, Princess Alice of the United Kingdom and had issue. Married, secondly, Alexandrina Hutten-Czapska; annulled.
- HGDH Prince Heinrich Ludwig Wilhelm Adalbert Waldemar Alexander of Hesse and by Rhine (28 November 1838 - 16 September 1900); married, firstly, Baroness Karoline of Nidda; had one son. Married, secondly, Baroness Emily of Dornberg; had one son.
- HGDH Princess Anna of Hesse and by Rhine (25 May 1843 - 16 April 1865); married Frederick Francis II, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and had one daughter, Duchess Anne.
- HGDH Prince Wilhelm Ludwig Friedrich Georg Emil Philipp of Hesse and by Rhine (16 November 1845 - 24 May 1900); married Baroness Josephine of Lichtenberg.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 18 June 1815 – 22 October 1836: Her Royal Highness Princess Elisabeth of Prussia
- 22 October 1836 – 21 March 1885: Her Royal Highness Princess Charles of Hesse and by Rhine
|This article related to German royalty (1871–1919) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|