Princess Estelle, Duchess of Östergötland
|Duchess of Östergötland|
|Estelle prior to the wedding of her aunt, Madeleine, on 8 June 2013|
|Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary|
|House||House of Bernadotte|
|Father||Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergötland|
|Mother||Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden|
23 February 2012 |
|Swedish Royal Family|
Princess Estelle of Sweden, Duchess of Östergötland (Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary; born 23 February 2012), is the only child of Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergötland. She is the granddaughter of King Carl XVI Gustaf, and is second in line of succession to the Swedish throne.
The Duchess was born at 04:26 CET on 23 February 2012. Her names and title were announced on 24 February 2012 by her maternal grandfather, King Carl XVI Gustaf. The father of the princess registered his legal surname as Bernadotte after marrying her mother who belongs to that royal dynasty. Princess Estelle, like other members of the royal family, does not have a surname.
There has been speculation that Princess Estelle was given her name in honor of Countess Estelle Bernadotte (1904–1984), the American wife of Count Folke Bernadotte. On 24 February 2012, the King told a special cabinet meeting, announcing the name, that the name Estelle is very close to the heart of her mother and also the family. Countess Estelle Bernadotte's son Folke Bernadotte Jr. said in an interview that he is very honoured that Princess Estelle was (as he assumes) named after his mother, and that the royal family had a special relationship to her and her charity work. Her middle names honour her maternal grandmother, the Queen of Sweden, her paternal grandmother, Ewa Westling, and her godmother, the Crown Princess of Denmark.
Princess Estelle was baptized on 22 May 2012 at the Royal Chapel in Stockholm, Sweden. Her godparents were her maternal uncle, Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland, King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands (then Prince of Orange), Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, Crown Prince Haakon of Norway, and her paternal aunt, Anna Westling Söderström.
Princess Estelle is second in the line of succession to the Swedish throne. At the time of her birth, Princess Estelle joined four other European princesses who were second in line to the throne and expected to become monarchs: Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, Princess Elisabeth of Belgium, Infanta Leonor of Spain and Princess Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands. Catharina-Amalia and Elisabeth both became heiresses apparent in 2013.
Princess Estelle is the first female in the history of Sweden to be born with a right to inherit the throne that cannot be superseded by the subsequent birth of a male heir. She is also the first person in the history of Sweden to be born the child of an heiress apparent. The only two princesses of Sweden before Estelle to be born first in line for the throne were all heiresses presumptive at their birth: Christina (who eventually became queen regnant), Hedwig Sophia (who was superseded by a younger brother).
Titles, styles, and honours
Titles and styles
- 23 February 2012 – present: Her Royal Highness Princess Estelle of Sweden, Duchess of Östergötland
Swedish appointments and honours
- Sweden :
|Ancestors of Princess Estelle, Duchess of Östergötland|
- "Kronprinsessan och Prins Daniel har fått en dotter" (Press release) (in Swedish). Royal Court of Sweden. 23 February 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- "Princess Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary, Duchess of Östergötland" (Press release). Royal Court of Sweden. 24 February 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- Princess Estelle skirts Swedish naming laws, The Local, 24 March 2012.
- Namnvalet Estelle väcker reaktioner, Dagens Nyheter, 24 February 2012.
- Estelle is Sweden's first royal baby in 30 years, Reuters, 24 February 2012.
- Prinsessan döps efter hans mor, Upsala Nya Tidning, 25 February 2012.
- Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary, Swedish Royal Heir, Baptized
- Nudd, Tim (23 February 2012). "Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria Has a Baby Girl". People. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- Lagerqvist & Åberg in Kings and Rulers of Sweden ISBN 91-87064-35-9
- Swedish Monarchy Website, Photos after the granting and on the way out at the end of the christening.
- Ruby Jubilee in Sweden
- Media related to Princess Estelle of Sweden at Wikimedia Commons
Princess Estelle, Duchess of ÖstergötlandBorn: 23 February 2012
Title last held byPrince Carl
|Duchess of Östergötland
|Lines of succession|
Crown Princess Victoria
|Line of succession to the Swedish throne
Prince Carl Philip