Princess Estelle, Duchess of Östergötland
|Duchess of Östergötland|
|Estelle prior to the wedding of her aunt, Madeleine, on 8 June 2013|
|Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary|
|House||House of Bernadotte|
|Father||Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergötland|
|Mother||Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden|
23 February 2012 |
|Swedish Royal Family|
Princess Estelle of Sweden, Duchess of Östergötland (Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary; born 23 February 2012), is the only child of Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergötland. She is the first granddaughter of King Carl XVI Gustaf, and is second in line of succession to the Swedish throne.
The Princess was born at 04:26 CET on 23 February 2012. Her names and title were announced on 24 February 2012 by her maternal grandfather, King Carl XVI Gustaf. The father of the princess registered his legal surname as Bernadotte after marrying her mother who belongs to that royal dynasty. Princess Estelle, like other members of the royal family, does not have a surname.
There has been speculation that Princess Estelle was given her name in honor of Countess Estelle Bernadotte (1904–1984), the American wife of Count Folke Bernadotte. On 24 February 2012, the King told a special cabinet meeting, announcing the name, that the name Estelle is very close to the heart of her mother and also the family. Countess Estelle Bernadotte's son Folke Bernadotte Jr. said in an interview that he is very honoured that Princess Estelle was (as he assumes) named after his mother, and that the royal family had a special relationship to her and her charity work.
Princess Estelle was baptized on 22 May 2012 at the Royal Chapel in Stockholm, Sweden. Her godparents were her maternal uncle, Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland, King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands (then Prince of Orange), Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, Crown Prince Haakon of Norway, and her paternal aunt, Anna Westling Söderström.
Princess Estelle is second in the line of succession to the Swedish throne. At the time of her birth, Princess Estelle joined three other European princesses who were second in line to the throne and expected to become monarchs: Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, Princess Elisabeth of Belgium and Princess Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands. Catharina-Amalia and Elisabeth both became female heirsapparent in 2013.
Princess Estelle is the first female in the history of Sweden to be born with a right to inherit the throne that cannot be superseded by the subsequent birth of a male heir. She is also the first person in the history of Sweden to be born the child of a female heir apparent. The only two princesses of Sweden to be born first in line for the throne were heir presumptive at their birth: Christina (who eventually became queen regnant) and Hedwig Sophia (who was superseded by a younger brother).
On 17 May 2014, two year old Princess Estelle undertook her first official engagement, which was inaugurating a fairytale path, named in her honour as "Duchess Estelle's Fairytale Path" in Tåkern, Östergötland. She also visited Linköping Castle, where she was received by Elisabeth Nilsson, Kristina Zetterström and Ann-Catrine Hjerdt, the mayor of Linköping.
On 8 June 2013, Princess Estelle attended the wedding of her aunt, Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland and Christopher O'Neill.
Titles, styles, and honours
Titles and styles
Estelle is styled as: Her Royal Highness Princess Estelle of Sweden, Duchess of Östergötland.
Swedish appointments and honours
- Sweden :
|Ancestors of Princess Estelle, Duchess of Östergötland|
- "Kronprinsessan och Prins Daniel har fått en dotter" (Press release) (in Swedish). Royal Court of Sweden. 23 February 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- "Princess Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary, Duchess of Östergötland" (Press release). Royal Court of Sweden. 24 February 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- Princess Estelle skirts Swedish naming laws, The Local, 24 March 2012.
- Namnvalet Estelle väcker reaktioner, Dagens Nyheter, 24 February 2012.
- Estelle is Sweden's first royal baby in 30 years, Reuters, 24 February 2012.
- Prinsessan döps efter hans mor, Upsala Nya Tidning, 25 February 2012.
- "Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary, Swedish Royal Heir, Baptized (PHOTOS)". Huffingtonpost.com. 2012-05-22. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- Nudd, Tim (23 February 2012). "Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria Has a Baby Girl". People. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- Lagerqvist & Åberg in Kings and Rulers of Sweden ISBN 91-87064-35-9
- "Google-kääntäjä" (in Finnish). Translate.google.com. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- "Crownprincess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Princess Estelle open Crownprincess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Princess Estelle open Fairytale Path - Monarchy Press Europe". Dutchphotopress.com. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- Swedish Monarchy Website, Photos after the granting and on the way out at the end of the christening.
- "Fotografía LA PRINCESA ESTELLE, ESTRELLA DEL 40 ANIVERSARIO DE SU ABUELO, EL REY CARLOS GUSTAVO DE SUECIA 66063" (in Spanish). Europapress.es. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- Royal Court of Sweden- Princess Estelle
- Media related to Princess Estelle of Sweden at Wikimedia Commons
Princess Estelle, Duchess of ÖstergötlandBorn: 23 February 2012
Title last held byPrince Carl
|Duchess of Östergötland
|Lines of succession|
Crown Princess Victoria
|Line of succession to the Swedish throne
Prince Carl Philip