Princess Estelle, Duchess of Östergötland
|Duchess of Östergötland|
|The Duchess following her baptism|
|Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary|
|Father||Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergötland|
|Mother||Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden|
23 February 2012 (age 1 yr 3 mos)|
|Swedish Royal Family|
Princess Estelle of Sweden, Duchess of Östergötland (Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary; born 23 February 2012), is the only child of Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergötland. She is the granddaughter of King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden, and is second in line to the Swedish throne.
The Duchess was born at 04:26 CET on 23 February 2012. Her names and title were announced on 24 February 2012 by her maternal grandfather, King Carl XVI Gustaf. The father of the princess registered his legal surname as Bernadotte after marrying her mother who belongs to that royal dynasty.
There has been speculation that Princess Estelle was given her name in honor of Countess Estelle Bernadotte (1904–1984), the American wife of Count Folke Bernadotte. On 24 February 2012, King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden told a special cabinet meeting, announcing the name, that the name Estelle is very close to the heart of her mother and also the family. Countess Estelle Bernadotte's son Folke Bernadotte Jr. said in an interview that he is very honored that Princess Estelle was (as he assumes) named after his mother, and that the royal family had a special relationship to her and her charity work. Her middle names honour her maternal grandmother, the Queen of Sweden, her paternal grandmother, Ewa Westling, and her godmother, the Crown Princess of Denmark.
Princess Estelle was baptized on 22 May 2012 at the Royal Chapel in Stockholm, Sweden. Her godparents were her maternal uncle the Duke of Värmland, the Prince of Orange, the Crown Princess of Denmark, the Crown Prince of Norway, and her paternal aunt Anna Westling Söderström.
Princess Estelle is second in the line of succession to the Swedish throne. The princess joins four other European princesses who were as of December 2012[update] second in line to the throne and expected to become monarchs: Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, Princess Elisabeth of Belgium, Princess Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands and Infanta Leonor of Spain.
She is the first female in the history of Sweden to be born with a right to inherit the throne that cannot be superseded by the subsequent birth of a male heir. She is also the first person in the history of Sweden to be born the child of an heiress apparent. The only three princesses of Sweden before Estelle to be born first in line for the throne were all heiresses presumptive at their birth: Christina (who eventually became queen regnant), Hedwig Sophia (who was superseded by a younger brother), and Estelle's mother, who was displaced for seven months between the birth of her younger brother, Carl Philip, and the subsequent change in the Swedish law of succession, which became effective on 1 January 1980.
Titles, styles, and honours 
Titles and styles 
Princess Estelle, Duchess of Östergötland
|Reference style||Her Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
- 23 February 2012 – present: Her Royal Highness Princess Estelle of Sweden, Duchess of Östergötland
Swedish appointments and honours 
|Ancestors of Princess Estelle, Duchess of Östergötland|
- "Kronprinsessan och Prins Daniel har fått en dotter" (Press release) (in Swedish). Royal Court of Sweden. 23 February 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- "Princess Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary, Duchess of Östergötland" (Press release). Royal Court of Sweden. 24 February 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- Namnvalet Estelle väcker reaktioner, Dagens Nyheter, 24 February 2012.
- Estelle is Sweden's first royal baby in 30 years, Reuters, 24 February 2012.
- Prinsessan döps efter hans mor, Upsala Nya Tidning, 25 February 2012.
- Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary, Swedish Royal Heir, Baptized
- Nudd, Tim (23 February 2012). "Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria Has a Baby Girl". People. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- Lagerqvist & Åberg in Kings and Rulers of Sweden ISBN 91-87064-35-9
- Swedish Monarchy Website, Photos after the granting and on the way out at the end of the christening.
- Sveriges Kunghus Start / Kungafamiljen / H.K.H. Prins Daniel / Biografi
- Media related to Princess Estelle of Sweden at Wikimedia Commons
Princess Estelle, Duchess of ÖstergötlandBorn: 23 February 2012
Title last held byPrince Carl
|Duchess of Östergötland
|Lines of succession|
The Crown Princess
|Line of succession to the Swedish throne
The Duke of Värmland