Princess Françoise of Orléans (1902–1953)
|Princess Christopher of Greece and Denmark|
|Spouse||Prince Christopher of Greece and Denmark|
|Françoise Isabelle Louise Marie d'Orléans|
|House||House of Orléans (by birth)
House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (by marriage)
|Father||Prince Jean, Duke of Guise|
|Mother||Princess Isabelle of Orléans|
25 December 1902|
|Died||25 February 1953
|Burial||Royal Cemetery, Tatoi Palace, Greece|
Princess Françoise of Orléans (Françoise Isabelle Louise Marie; 25 December 1902, Paris – 25 February 1953, Paris) was born a Princess of Orléans and was a Princess of Greece and Denmark by marriage. She was thus a member of the Greek royal family. She was a descendent of Louis-Philippe of France.
Family, Marriage and issue
Françoise d'Orléans was the second daughter of Jean d'Orléans, duc de Guise (an Orléanist pretender to the throne of France under the name Jean III) and his wife, the French Princess Isabelle of Orléans. Françoise's brother, Prince Henri, Count of Paris, succeeded their father as the Orleanist pretender, under the name Henri VI.
In Palermo on 11 February 1929, she married Prince Christopher of Greece and Denmark (1888–1940). This was Christopher's second marriage - he was the younger son of King King George I of Greece (1845–1913) and his wife, Grand Duchess Olga Constantinovna of Russia (1851–1926). Via his father, he was thus grandson of King Christian IX of Denmark (1818–1906), nicknamed "the father-in-law of Europe" due to his six children all marrying into other royal families.
This royal marriage was unusual in that era, a Catholic marrying a non-Catholic (he was Greek Orthodox, whilst she was Roman Catholic). They had only one child, the writer Prince Michael of Greece and Denmark (born 1939), who married the Greek artist Marina Karella (born 1940) - that marriage did not conform to the laws of the royal house and thus deprived him of all right of succession to the Greek throne.
Titles and styles
- 25 December 1902 – 11 February 1929: Her Royal Highness Princess Françoise of France
- 11 February 1929 – 25 February 1953: Her Royal Highness Princess Christopher of Greece and Denmark
- Michel de Grèce, Mémoires insolites, Pocket, Paris, 2004, p. 15.
- Christopher of Greece, Memoirs of HRH Prince Christopher of Greece, The Right Book Club, London, 1938.
- (French) Michael of Greece and Henri of Orléans, comte de Paris, Mon album de famille, Perrin, 1996. ISBN 2-262-01237-7
- (French) Michael of Greece, Mémoires insolites, Xo, Paris, 2004 ISBN 2-84563-186-3
- (French) Isabelle, countess of Paris, Tout m'est bonheur, Éditions Robert Laffont, Coll. « Vécu », Paris, 1978. ISBN 2-221-00107-9
- (Spanish) Ricardo Mateos Sainz de Medrano, La Familia de la Reina Sofίa, La Dinastίa griega, la Casa de Hannover y los reales primos de Europa, La Esfera de los Libros, Madrid, 2004 ISBN 84-9734-195-3