Princess Henriette of Schönaich-Carolath
|Henriette of Schönaich-Carolath|
|Princess of Prussia|
|Spouse||Prince Karl Franz of Prussia|
|Issue||Prince Franz Wilhelm
Prince Friedrich Christian
Prince Franz Friedrich
|German: Henriette Hermine Wanda Ida Luise|
|House||House of Schönaich-Carolath
House of Hohenzollern
|Father||Prince Johann George of Schönaich-Carolath|
|Mother||Princess Hermine Reuss of Greiz|
25 November 1918|
Berlin, Weimar Republic
|Died||16 March 1972
Neuendettelsau, West Germany
Princess Henriette of Schönaich-Carolath (German: Henriette Hermine Wanda Ida Luise Prinzessin von Schönaich-Carolath; 25 November 1918 – 16 March 1972) was the youngest daughter of Prince Johann Georg von Schoenaich-Carolath and Princess Hermine Reuss of Greiz, second wife of Wilhelm II, German Emperor.
Princess Henriette was born at Berlin, Weimar Republic, fifth child and youngest daughter of Prince Johann George of Schönaich-Carolath (1873–1920), (son of Prince George of Schönaich-Carolath, and Princess Wanda of Schönaich-Carolath) and his wife, Princess Hermine Reuss of Greiz (1887–1947), (daughter of Heinrich XXII, Prince Reuss of Greiz and Princess Ida of Schaumburg-Lippe). As her father had died in 1920, her mother married secondly in 1922 to the German Emperor Wilhelm II.
Hermine had five young children, but it was decided that only the youngest, Princess Henriette, would come to live with them at Doorn. Wilhelm generally stayed out of his stepchildren's affairs, with the exception of Henriette. He seemed to have a genuine affection for her, and she came to be known as "the general". According to Giles MacDonough, Henriette "performed the role of resident grandchild, passing the sugar when coffee was served".
On 6 August 1940 at his residence at Doorn, former German Emperor Wilhelm II officially announced his stepdaughter Princess Henriette's engagement with his grandson Prince Karl Franz of Prussia. Karl Franz (1916–1975) was the only son of Prince Joachim of Prussia and his wife, Princess Marie-Auguste of Anhalt.
The couple were married on 1 October 1940 and had three children:
- Prince Franz Wilhelm of Prussia (born 3 September 1943), married in 1976 to Maria Vladimirovna, Grand Duchess of Russia, claimant to the Headship of the Imperial Family of Russia; had issue.
- Prince Friedrich Christian of Prussia (3 September 1943 – 26 September 1943)
- Prince Franz Friedrich of Prussia (born 17 October 1944), married firstly in 1970 in a morganatic marriage to Gudrun Edith Winkler, divorced in 1996, had issue; Married secondly in 1999 to Susann Genske, no issue.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 25 November 1918 – 1 October 1940: Her Serene Highness Princess Henriette of Schönaich-Carolath
- 1 October 1940 – 5 September 1946: Her Royal Highness Princess Karl Franz of Prussia
- 5 September 1946 – 16 March 1972: Her Serene Highness Princess Henriette of Schönaich-Carolath
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (February 2013)|
|Ancestors of Princess Henriette of Schönaich-Carolath|
- Lundy, Darryl. "The Peerage: Henriette Hermine Wanda Ida Luise Prinzessin von Schönaich-Carolath". Retrieved 19 September 2010.[unreliable source]
- MacDonogh, p. 430.
- MacDonogh, p. 434.
- "Ex-Kaiser's Stepdaughter To Marry His Grandson", The New York Times (Amsterdam), 7 August 1940
- MacDonogh, Giles (2000). The Last Kaiser: The Life of Wilhelm II. New York: St. Martin's Press. ISBN 0-312-30557-5.
- Genealogics - Leo van de Pas - Henriette, Prinzessin von Schoenaich-Carolath
- Lundy, Darryl. "p. 10394 § 103933 - Henriette Hermine Wanda Ida Luise Prinzessin von Schönaich-Carolath". The Peerage.
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstliche Häuser, Reference: 1984 501