Princess Margaretha, Mrs. Ambler
Princess Margaretha, Mrs. Ambler, (Margaretha Désirée Victoria) (born 31 October 1934) is a Swedish princess, the eldest sister of King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden and a first cousin of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark.
Princess Margaretha was born at Haga Palace outside Stockholm. She is the first child of Prince Gustaf Adolf, Duke of Västerbotten, and Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, and granddaughter of King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden and Princess Margaret of Connaught (aka Crown Princess Margareta of Sweden).
Although the eldest child, as a female, she was never heir to the throne according to the Swedish constitution current at the time. She was educated privately at the Haga Palace and then at the Stockholm dressmaking school, Märthaskolan (Martha School).
Courtship and marriage
In the 1950s Princess Margaretha had a relationship with Robin Douglas-Home, a Scottish aristocrat. He came to visit her in Sweden, but they never married. There was speculation in the press that this was due to Princess Sibylla forbidding the match, but Princess Margaretha's nanny and confidante Ingrid Björnberg states categorically in her memoirs that the breakup between the two was caused by Princess Margaretha's reluctance to enter into an engagement with Douglas-Home.
She met her future husband, the ten year older businessman John Ambler, at a dinner party in the United Kingdom in 1963 and their engagement was announced on 28 February 1964. They were married on 30 June 1964, in Gärdslösa Church, Gärdslösa, on the isle of Öland. The Princess wore a wedding gown from the Stockholm couture school, Märtaskolan, where she had previously been a student, and a traditional wedding crown from Oland.
The couple settled at Chippinghurst Manor in Oxfordshire. As a result of her unequal marriage, she lost her style of Royal Highness and became Princess Margaretha, Mrs. Ambler. Thus she and her descendants cannot inherit the Swedish throne.
Princess Margaretha and John Ambler's marriage has produced three children:
- Sibylla Louise Ambler (b. London, 14 April 1965), named after her maternal grandmother, Princess Sibylla. She married Baron Henning von Dincklage (b. Esslingen am Neckar, 29 April 1971). The couple lives in Munich. Their daughter Madeleine was one of Crown Princess Victoria's bridesmaids.
- Charles Edward Ambler (b. London, 14 July 1966); he married Helen Ross (b. Huddersfield, 3 March 1969).
- James Patrick Ambler (b. Oxford, 10 June 1967); he married Ursula Mary Shipley (b. St Austell, 9 July 1965).
Princess Margaretha lives near Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, in the UK, and does not perform any official engagements on behalf of the Royal Family.
She does take part in family events as part of the extended royal family, such as royal birthdays and weddings. Princess Margaretha was a guest at the 2010 Wedding of Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden, and Daniel Westling.
She also used to open the annual Swedish Church Christmas Bazaar in London.
- Sweden :
- "The Princess & the Pianist". Time. 1957-05-20. Retrieved 2009-04-25.
- Björnberg, Ingrid. 1975. Dagbok från Haga och Stockholms slott. Stockholm: Bonniers. p 163
- "Haga princesses". Order of Splendor.
- Expressen 16 September 2004
- Noblesse et Royautés, King's sisters attending Victoria's wedding, 19/06/2010, Group photo
- Ruby Jubilee in Sweden