Princess Marie of the Netherlands
|Princess of Wied|
Marie, Princess of Wied
|Spouse||William, Prince of Wied|
|Issue||William Frederick, Prince of Wied
William, Prince of Albania
|House||House of Orange-Nassau (by birth)
House of Wied-Neuwied (by marriage)
|Father||Prince Frederick of the Netherlands|
|Mother||Princess Louise of Prussia|
5 June 1841|
|Died||22 June 1910
Neuwied, Kingdom of Prussia
Princess Marie of the Netherlands (Dutch: Prinses Wilhelmina Frederika Anna Elisabeth Marie der Nederlanden, Prinses van Oranje-Nassau; 5 June 1841 – 22 June 1910) was the fourth child and younger daughter of Prince Frederick of the Netherlands and wife of William, 5th Prince of Wied. She was the mother of William, Prince of Albania.
Marie was born at Wassenaar, Netherlands the fourth child and younger daughter of Prince Frederick of the Netherlands (1797–1881) second son of William I of the Netherlands, and his wife, Princess Louise of Prussia (1808–1870), daughter of Frederick William III of Prussia.
Princess Marie suffered at an early age of hearing problems. Like her sister Louise, she was considered intelligent and very regal, but rather unattractive. She nevertheless proved to be a truly spectacular heiress. Her parents hoped to marry her to the equally unattractive Albert Edward, Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII). Edward's mother, Queen Victoria, originally a supporter of the match, blew off the plan after meeting her and found her unattractive.
Marriage and family
They had six children:
- William Frederick, Prince of Wied (27 June 1872 – 18 June 1945) married Princess Pauline of Württemberg, had issue.
- Prince Alexander of Wied (28 May 1874 – 15 January 1877)
- William, Prince of Albania (26 March 1876 – 18 April 1945) married Princess Sophie of Schönburg-Waldenburg (1885–1936), had issue.
- Prince Victor of Wied (7 December 1877 – 1 March 1946) married Countess Gisela of Solms-Widenfels (1891–1976), had issue.
- Princess Louise of Wied (24 October 1880 – 29 August 1965)
- Princess Elisabeth of Wied (28 January 1883 – 14 November 1938)
Titles and styles
- 5 June 1841 – 18 July 1871: Her Royal Highness Princess Marie of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau
- 18 July 1871 – 22 October 1907: Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wied
- 22 October 1907 – 22 June 1910: Her Royal Highness The Dowager Princess of Wied
Notes and sources
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Princess Marie of the Netherlands.|
- thePeerage.com - Marie von Nassau, Princess of the Netherlands
- Genealogics - Leo van de Pas - Princess Marie of The Netherlands
- The Royal House of Stuart, London, 1969, 1971, 1976, Addington, A. C., Reference: page 354.