Prinsens Livregiment (English: The Prince's Life Regiment) was a Danish Army infantry regiment. It was named for Prince Henrik, the husband of Queen Margrethe II. The motto of the regiment was "Gloria Finis" (Honor above all).
Because one of the regiment's antecedents was the life regiment of Queen Ingrid, the Queen Mother, the regiment had both Prince Henrik's and the late Queen Mother's cyphers on its Regimental Colour. The regiment was founded during the reign of King Frederik III in 1657 under the command of Ernst Albrecht von Eberstein. Over the years it has undergone many changes of name, the last taking place in 1961.
The Regiment participated in the wars, Northern Wars (1657–1660), Scanian War (1675–1679), Great Northern War (1709–1720), First Schleswig War (1848–1850) and Second Schleswig War (1864). It was furthermore in foreign war service during 1689-1697 and 1701-1714. The regimental flag had the battle honours Nyborg 1659, Wismar 1675, Rygen 1715, Treldeskansen 1849, Dybbøl 1849 and Dybbøl 1864.
From 1960's to 2000 the regiment had two mechanised and two infantry battalions, from 2000-2004 it had four mechanised and three infantry battalions
In 2000, two other regiments, Slesvigske Fodregiment and Dronningens Livregiment, were merged into Prinsens Livregiment. In August 2005, the regiment was amalgamated with Jydske Dragonregiment and its battalions disbanded.
Names of the regiment
- 30 November 1657 - Ebersteins Regiment
- 1665 - Bremers Regiment
- 1672 - Max. Rosenkrantz Regiment
- 1676 - Prins Christian Regiment
- 1695 - Prins Carls Regiment
- 1730 - Schacks Regiment
- 1734 - Dombroicks Regiment
- 1735 - Laalandske Infanteri-Regiment
- 1753 - Prins Frederiks Infanteri Regiment
- 1806 - Prins Christian Frederiks Regiment
- 1839 - Kongens Regiment
- 1842 - 6. Linie Infanteri-Bataillon
- 1860 - 6. Infanteri-Bataillon
- 1863 - 6. Infanteri-Regiment
- 1865 - 6. Infanteri-Bataillon
- 1867 - 6. Bataillon
- 1 November 1951 - 3. Regiment
- 1961 - Prinsens Livregiment
- Lærebog for Hærens Menige, Hærkommandoen, marts 1960