The Priory Group is an independent provider of mental health care facilities in the United Kingdom. Its flagship hospital is the Priory Hospital, Roehampton, which is best known for treating celebrities particularly for drug addiction. The Priory Group also manages schools, some for students with Asperger syndrome or high-functioning autism.
The Group was acquired by Westminster Health Care plc in 1999. Chai Patel became Chief Executive. On 5 March 2007 Dr Patel and his management team resigned.
The Chief Executive Officer is Tom Riall who joined the Priory in April 2013. The group operates at more than 250 sites with 7,000 beds.
In 2002, the group was sold to Doughty Hanson & Co for £289 million. The company was sold again in July 2005 for £875 million to ABN Amro (later taken over by Royal Bank of Scotland Group), netting the five company directors over £50 million. Royal Bank of Scotland Group sold Priory to Advent International in 2011.
In October 2014 Riall announced that the group was planning a significant expansion into the mental health community services market and would bid in partnership with “incumbent” NHS providers, an approach that would allow them to come up with new models of care. He expected more services to be put out to tender by Clinical commissioning groups. Priory could contribute their "considerable commercial bidding expertise”. Riall wants Priory to be the “overflow provider of choice” for the NHS.
- The following is alphabetical list of notable people whom The Priory Group has treated:
- Beverley Callard, actor
- Craig Charles, actor
- Richey Edwards, musician and songwriter
- Paul Gascoigne, footballer
- Michael Johnson, footballer
- Justin Hawkins, singer
- "The Priory in rehab". The Daily Telegraph. 18 March 2007. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- "The Priory offers counselling to pupils". The Daily Telegraph. 11 September 2009. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- "BBC spends £19,000 treating stressed out staff at The Priory". The Daily Telegraph. 11 February 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- "Priory clinics sold for £288m". BBC. June 11, 2002.
- "Doughty Hanson sells Priory Group for £875m". DoughtyHanson.com. July 5, 2005.
- "Priory Group sets sights on community contracts". Local Government Chronicle. 27 October 2014. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Beverley Callard enjoys a day out with partner as she recovers from nervous breakdown". Daily Mail (London). 14 April 2010.
- Aitkenhead, Decca (16 March 2009). "Decca Aitkenhead Meets Craig Charles". The Guardian (London: Guardian Media Group). Retrieved 24 July 2011.
- "Richey Edwards Obituary". The Daily Telegraph. 24 November 2008. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- Paul Gascoigne; John McKeown and Hunter Davies (2006). Being Gazza: Tackling My Demons. London: Headline Publishing. ISBN 0-7553-1542-1.
- "Former Man City star Michael Johnson having treatment after suffering mental illness". Irish Independent (Dublin: Independent News & Media). 16 January 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Michael Johnson reveals Priory treatment for mental health problems". The Guardian (London: Guardian Media Group). 16 January 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Darkness singer in rehab clinic". BBC News. 18 August 2006. Retrieved 2006-12-19.
|This article about a company of the UK is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|