Prism (Matthew Shipp album)
|Live album by Matthew Shipp|
|Recorded||March 26, 1993
Roulette, New York City
|Matthew Shipp chronology|
Prism is an album by American jazz pianist Matthew Shipp featuring his trio with bassist William Parker and drummer Whit Dickey, which was recorded live in 1993 and released on the small Dutch Brinkman label. The album was reissued in 2000 by hatOLOGY.
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz|||
In his review for AllMusic, David R. Adler states "Prism is not as memorable as Shipp's later, more eclectic work, but it's still a significant statement." The Penguin Guide to Jazz says that "the two long pieces suggest, as usual in this period, that Shipp was trying out, discarding and picking up again all manner of ideas." The All About Jazz review by Glenn Astarita states "Prism is a relatively strong and noteworthy addition to Matthew Shipp's increasingly significant legacy."
- All compositions by Matthew Shipp
- "Prism I" – 29:55
- "Prism II" – 25:40
- Matthew Shipp discography by Rick Lopez
- Adler, David R.. Matthew Shipp – Prism: Review at AllMusic. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2002). The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (6th ed.). London: Penguin. p. 1338. ISBN 0140515216.
- Prism review by Glenn Astarita at All About Jazz