|Member of Parliament
for Eunos Division, Aljunied GRC
7 May 2011
|Preceded by||Zainul Abidin bin Mohamed Rasheed|
2 August 1976 |
|Political party||Workers' Party of Singapore|
|Alma mater||National University of Singapore,
King's College London,
Singapore Management University
Pritam Singh (Punjabi: ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਸਿੰਘ; born 2 August 1976), J.D., is a Singaporean politician and lawyer. A member of the opposition Workers' Party, he has been a Member of Parliament (MP) representing the Aljunied Group Representation Constituency since 7 May 2011.
In 2007, Singh founded Opinion Asia, an online commentary syndicate with a focus on Asian issues.
At the 2011 general election, Singh was part of the five-member Worker's Party team which contested the Aljunied Group Representation Constituency (GRC). The team also included the party's Secretary-General, Low Thia Khiang, along with Sylvia Lim (the party's Chairman), Chen Show Mao and Muhamad Faisal bin Abdul Manap. They faced the team from the governing People's Action Party (PAP), which was led by the Minister for Foreign Affairs, George Yeo, and also included Lim Hwee Hua, Cynthia Phua and Zainul Abidin Bin Mohamed Rasheed. The Workers' Party's team defeated the PAP team by 72,289 votes (54.7%) to 59,829 (45.2%), marking the first occasion in Singapore's history in which an opposition party had won an election in a GRC.
Within the Workers' Party, Singh is currently the Vice-Chair of the Media Team on the party's Executive Council.
Singh was educated at Woodsville Primary School, Belvedere Primary School, St Thomas Secondary School and Jurong Junior College, before going on to the National University of Singapore where he completed a BA (Hons) degree in 2000. He won the Straits Steamship Prize for the top undergraduate student reading history and political science in 1999. He later received a Chevening Scholarship to study at King's College London in the United Kingdom, where he completed a Master of Arts degree in war studies in 2004. He also earned a Diploma in Islamic Studies from the International Islamic University Malaysia in 2005. In 2011, Singh completed a Juris Doctor degree at the Singapore Management University.
- Mr Pritam Singh, parliament.gov.sg, retrieved 6 April 2012.
- Parliamentary General Election 2011: Aljunied GRC, singapore-elections.com, retrieved 6 April 2012.
- MP for Aljunied GRC, Eunos Division, aljunied.wp.sg, retrieved 6 April 2012.
- Executive Council, wp.sg, retrieved 6 April 2012.
- , Donaldson & Burkinshaw website, retrieved 3 February 2013.
- 2011's Chevening Scholars, British High Commission Singapore website, retrieved 8 April 2012.
- News from our alumni, kcl.ac.uk, retrieved 8 April 2012.
- Pritam Singh, wp.sg, retrieved 6 April 2012.
- Pritam Singh's CV on the Singapore Parliament website