|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
|Origin||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Genres||Classic rock, 80s glam rock, metal, Bangla rock|
|Associated acts||Eartherianz - Prithibi Fan club|
Prithibi (Bengali: পৃথিবী) is a Bengali rock band officially formed in Kolkata, India in the year 2005. But its original formation goes back to 2001 at Ashutosh College. Presently the band consists of Kausiq (lead vocals, composer, lyricist), sharad (guitars), Prosanto (bass, backing vocals), Raja (guitar, backing vocals) and Arnab (drums, percussions). The band became more popular with audiences when they stood first runner up in a competition, Band-E-Mataram held in Kolkata by a music channel, Sangeet Bangla, record label Asha Audio and Sangbad Pratidin in 2005.
Their first ‘self-titled’ album released under one of the major record labels, Asha Audio in the year 2007.
Their second album Chapter II released under the same record label in 2010. This album was hugely popular and was also nominated in the Zee Bangla Gaurav Samman Awards, 2011 in the category of Best Bangla Band Album
In 2001, when three Ashutosh College students, Kausiq, Abhijit and Souvik joined together to form a band, Prithibi was found. Before forming the band, three of them used to jam together at the canteen corner. Among them Kausiq was already a solo artiste and did many projects in and outside Kolkata. Meanwhile he was also searching for a ‘dologoto proyash’ i.e. a band to create music.
The band experienced a flurry of lineup changes until 2005, by which time a sort of permanency was attained - Kausiq (vocals), Bubun (guitars), Prosanto (bass), Arnab (drums), Samarpan (guitars) and Amin (keyboards).
2005 was also the year when Prithibi stood first runner up in the competition ‘Band-e-Mataram’.
In 2007 they released their first “self-titled” album, Prithibi, which did pretty well. The album also had one of their hit songs, ‘O Amar’ which topped the charts for weeks.
By the end of 2007 keyboardist Amin left the band for some of his personal reasons. And followed the exit of Samarpan in 2010. And Raja joined as the new guitarist.
Their second album, Chapter II released in 2010. This album was quite successful and got nominated in several award nominations. The song 'Classroom' is a chartbuster.
Their guitarist, Bubun, died on 17th November 2012. Later Sharad Diyali joined as the guitarist of the band.
- Prithibi has also composed the ‘Kolkata Police Friendship Cup, 2007’. It was the same year, when ‘Friendship Cup’ entered into the Limca Book of Records.
- Composed a song, ‘Ray of Hope’ for ARRAY, an NGO which works for underprivileged children. The song was sung by Prithibi and Usha Uthup.
- Composed a song for IPL in collaboration with Red FM
- Composed the theme song for Band-E-Mataram II
- Did music direction for a Telefilm, ‘Bombagorer Nattyo Company’ in the year 2006.
- Composed a song for Radio Mirchi especially for Poila boishakh.
- 2nd Album - CHAPTER II (2010)- Asha Audio
- Singles - Song 'Abol Tabol' for Telefilm, 'Bombagorer Nattyo Company' (2006)
- Singles - Theme song 'Amra Harina' for 'Band E Mataram II' (2006)
- Video Release - 'Band E Mataram II' Theme Song (2006)
- 1st Album Prithibi (2007) - Asha Audio
- Singles - Theme song 'Friendship Chai' for Kolkata Police Friendship Cup'(2007)
- Video Release - Song 'Nisiddho Parwana' (2007)
- Singles - Song 'Poila Tobu Ekla Noi Aami' for Radio Mirchi on poila boishakh (2007).
- Singles - Puja song 'Elo re, Ma amar Ghore elo re' for Radio Mirchi (2007).
- Singles - Theme song 'Fresh Face of the Campus' for Unish Kuri Fresh Face (2008).
- Singles - IPL song 'R pore thaka noi' for Red FM (2008).
- Singles - Theme song 'Face Next' for Unish Kuri Face Next (2008).
- Video Release - Song 'Barud' (2008).
- Singles - Puja song 'Ektu sapna ektu asha' for Officer's Choice Puja Countdown (2008).
- Singles - Song 'Ray of Hope' with Usha Uthup for NGO ARRAY (2009)
- The lead vocalist of Prithibi Kausiq is doing his debut as a music director for two films at a time 1st one is "Help Line" and 2nd one is "Saare Char". He is also doing his debut as actor in that film. In that film music the lead vocalist Rock Band Cactus, Siddhu is singing on Kaushik's tune.
- "Prithibi Bangla Band: History". Prithibiband.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Rocking out loud". Calcutta, India: The Telegraph. February 24, 2010.
- Bose, Antara (April 16, 2009). "Prithibi band at Bengal Club". Calcutta, India: The Telegraph.
- "Prithibi band at Hotel Landmark". Calcutta, India: The Telegraph. December 30, 2006.
- "Prithibi band during world music day". Calcutta, India: The Telegraph. June 21, 2007.
- Official website
- Nisiddho Parwana (official video)
- Barud (official video)
- Documentary(featured in Sangeet Bangla)
- Prithibi interview
- Kolkata Friendship Cup,07
- Live show1
- Live show2
- Live show3
- Live show4
- Live show5
- Prithibi feat. Shilajit @ Book Fair,2007
- Eclecia performance
- Prithibi YouTube cannel