Privacy Commissioner of Canada
The Privacy Commissioner has the authority to investigate complaints filed by Canadian citizens, and report on whether there has been a violation of the Privacy Act, which deals with personal information held by the government of Canada, or the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), which deals with personal information held in the private sector. The Privacy Commissioner also has the power to audit, publish information about personal information-handling practices in the public and private sector, conduct research into privacy issues and promote awareness and understanding of privacy issues by the public.
The current Commissioner is Daniel Therrien, who was appointed on June 5, 2014.
The Commissioner's powers include:
- investigating complaints and conducting audits under two federal laws, Section 29 of the Privacy Act, and the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act;
- publishing information about personal information-handling practices in the public and private sector;
- conducting research into privacy issues; and
- promoting awareness and understanding of privacy issues by the Canadian public.
The OPC reports to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Access to Information, Privacy and Ethics.
There have been eight Privacy Commissioners since the office was established in 1977.
- Daniel Therrien (2014-)
- Chantal Bernier (interim, 2013-2014)
- Jennifer Stoddart (2003-2013)
- Robert Marleau (interim, 2003)
- George Radwanski (2000-2003, left amidst a scandal over expenses)
- Bruce Phillips, OC (1991-2000), (b. ~1930-d. 6 December 2014 in Penticton, BC)
- John Grace (1983-1990)
- Inger Hansen (1977-1983)
- "About the Office of the Privacy Commissioner". Privacy Commissioner of Canada. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- "Parliamentary Activities". Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada. Retrieved 2012-09-10.
- "Officers of Parliament - Privacy Commissioners: 1977 to Date". Library of Parliament, Parliament of Canada. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- . CTV.ca. 2014-12-08 http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/former-privacy-commissioner-and-journalist-bruce-phillips-dead-at-84-1.2137308. Retrieved 2014-12-08. Missing or empty
- Privacy Commissioner of Canada Official Website
- Privacy Commissioner of Canada's channel on YouTube
- "Privacy czar likes Google stance on blurred streets". CTV News. 2007-09-25. Retrieved 2013-02-06.
- "Liberals attack over $1.2M Tory ad scheme: Demand two Tories involved in 'illegal' funding plan step aside during probe". Ottawa Citizen. 2007-10-18. Retrieved 2013-02-06.