PrivatBank – Your point of support!
|Type||Public Joint-Stock Company|
|Key people||Oleksandr Dubilet (Chairman of the Board), Henadiy Boholubov, Ihor Kolomoyskyi|
|Revenue||UAH 20 billion|
|Net income||UAH 1.370 billion (for 2010)|
|Owner(s)||Henadiy Boholubov, Ihor Kolomoyskyi|
|Employees||over 30 000|
|Subsidiaries||MoskomPrivatBank (Russian Federation)
AS PrivatBank (Latvia)
AS PrivatBank (Portugal)
AS PrivatBank (Italia)
PrivatBank (Ukrainian: ПриватБанк) is the largest commercial bank in Ukraine, in terms of the number of clients, assets value, loan portfolio and taxes paid to the national budget. PrivatBank has its headquarters in Dnipropetrovsk, in central Ukraine.In May 2013 was named by the American review Global Finance (magazine) as "the Best Bank in Ukraine for 2013" while British magazine "The Banker" in November 2013 named again the same bank as "the Bank of the year 2013 in Ukraine". According to Moody's Investors Service it has the best "Bank Financial Strength Rating" (BFSR) among all others rated banks in Ukraine. On October 9, 2013 Fitch Ratings rated PrivatBank 'A-(ukr)' with stable outlook.
More than 30 thousand people are employed with the bank system. By the results of banking market survey, conducted by GFK Ukraine, PrivatBank services are used by one out of three Ukrainian banks clients (33.2%), and one out of four (24.9%) uses a wide range of services and considers PrivatBank as his/her main bank.
Following the results of the first quarter of 2013 PrivatBank’s net profit has amounted to UAH624.232 million. As compared to the respective period of 2012 the Bank’s profit increased by 2.3 times and was more than 20% of the total profit of the Ukrainian national banking system, amounting to UAH3 billion for the first quarter of the year according to the National Bank of Ukraine.
For the three-month period of 2013 assets of PrivatBank have increased up to UAH175 billion(17 billion euros appx.) and accounts of individuals increased by UAH1.5 billion up to UAH87.322 billion(8,1billion euros appx). As for 1 April 2013 the bank’s equity was UAH18.959 billion.
As for 1 April 2013 over 2.9 million customers use banking services at the outlets or via PrivatBank's electronic service systems daily. By 1 February 2011, PrivatBank provides services to 2.4 million retired persons in Ukraine, 3.4 million people get their salary using PrivatBank cards, 1 million students receive their educational allowances through PrivatBank. The bank's infrastructure in Ukraine includes 6′975 ATMs, 2′228 payment terminals, 35′486 POS-terminals, 3′303 branches and offices in cities and districts of the country. On the average, each day 1.5 million people use PrivatBank services.
The bank's primary owners include Ukrainian businessmen and philanthropists, Ihor Kolomoyskyi and Hennadiy Boholubov, with the bank being at the financial and management core of their Privat business group.
PrivatBank is one of the first private commercial banks, established in Ukraine. Decision on PrivatBank establishment was taken at the meeting of its founders on 7 February 1992. On 19 March 1992 the bank already passed its state registration. by Serhiy Tihipko was one of the founders and the first Chairman of the Board.
At the very beginning PrivatBank had just one office and several computers. It was the first in Ukraine who introduce plastic cards and ATMs. PrivatBank was also the first financial organization in Ukraine to get international rating.
In 1996 it became a full member of Visa International payment system and commenced the large-scale plastic card emission.
In 1997 PrivatBank became the first Ukrainian bank to obtain rating statement from Thomson BankWatch International Rating Agency, and become a full member of Europay payment system.
In 1998 the bank obtained its rating statement from Fitch IBCA International Rating Agency. In November 1998 the bank won a tender and was selected as a servicing bank authorized to perform in Ukraine the payments of the Swiss Holocaust Memorial Fund.
In 1999 PrivatBank opened its International Banking Unit in Cyprus. PrivatBank branch in Nicosia was the first Ukrainian bank branch established abroad.
In 2000 the bank was included in the group of banks authorized to pay compensations to Ukrainian citizens suffered from Nazi pursuit during the Second World War. In 2000 the PrivatBank’s form of ownership changed – on 6 July PrivatBank members decided on the bank’s reorganization from Limited Liability Company to Closed Joint-Stock Company. Thereupon, on 4 September 2000 the first Articles of Association of the Closed Joint-Stock Company Commercial Bank "PrivatBank" were registered.
A significant event in the Ukrainian banking system was the start-up in 2001 of "Privat24" project, provided a number of customers with an opportunity to manage their accounts online in real time, perform regular payments, transfer funds, etc.
In February 2002 PrivatBank emitted its millionth plastic card. In April 2002 PrivatBank representative was selected to Visa CEMEA (Central Europe, Middle East, Eastern Europe, and Africa) Board of Directors.
In 2003, PrivatBank was named the best service quality bank by its Western Union clients. The same year the bank received STP Excellence Award from Deutsche Bank, confirming its professionalism in international payments.
PrivatBank was the first Ukrainian bank to place Eurobonds in the amount of USD 100 mln at the European market. Besides, PrivatBank was the first in Ukraine to obtain Standard&Poor’s "B-" rating. International rating agency Fitch assigned the final long-term "B-" rating to Eurobonds of PrivatBank.
By the decision of shareholders’ at the meeting on 30 April 2009 the bank’s activity was brought into compliance with the Law of Ukraine "On Joint-Stock Companies": relevant alterations were introduced in the bank’s Articles of Association, and the joint-stock company’s type was changed from Closed to Public. Also the bank’s name was changed to Public Joint-Stock Company Commercial Bank "PrivatBank". These changes became effective on 21 July 2009 (license of the National Bank of Ukraine No. 22 dated 29 July 2009).
In 2010 PrivatBank increased its net profit by 30% - to UAH 1.370 billion comparing to 2009. The bank’s assets over the above period grew by 32% and on 1 January 2011 made up UAH 113.437 billion, customers’ loans and receivables increased by 36% to UAH 101.855 billion, liabilities – by 34% to UAH 101.557 billion, authorized capital – by 13% to UAH 8.860 billion, and owners’ equity – by 16% to UAH 11.880 billion.
Top-Management and Supervisory Board of PrivatBank
- Oleksandr Dubilet – Chairman of the Board of PrivatBank (holds the position since 1997)
- Yuriy Pikush – General Deputy Chairman of the Board of PrivatBank (since 2004)
- Nikolay Davydov – First Deputy Chairman of the Board – Chairman of the Board of MoskomPrivatBank
- Mykyta Volkov – First Deputy Chairman of the Board – Head of "Information Technologies" Manager (since 2004)
- Tymur Novikov – First Deputy Chairman of the Board (since 2004)
- Volodymyr Yatsenko - First Deputy Chairman of the Board – Head of General-System Business of Corporate Customers (since 2004)
- Oleksandr Vitiaz – Deputy Chairman of the Board of PrivatBank – Head of Electronic Business Center (since 2002)
- Oleg Gorokhovskyi – Deputy Chairman of the Board – Head of "Credit cards" Area (since 2004)
- Tetiana Gurieva – Deputy Chairman of the Board – Head of Customer Service Business (since 2000)
- Volodymyr Zavorotnyi – Deputy Chairman of the Board – Director of Kiev Head Regional Directorate (since 1997)
- Yuriy Kandaurov – Deputy Chairman of the Board – Head of Individual Customer Service Business (since 2002)
- Stanislav Kryzhanovskyi – Deputy Chairman of the Board – Head of "Security Service" Area (since 2009)
- Liubov Chmona – Deputy Chairman of the Board – Head of Industrial and VIP-Customers Budgeting Business (since 2002)
- Liudmyla Shmalchenko – Deputy Chairman of the Board – Head of the Treasury (since 2005)
PrivatBank Supervisory Board
- Hennadiy Boholubov — Chairman of Supervisory Board
- Ihor Kolomoyskyi — Member of Supervisory Board
- Oleksiy Martynov — Member of Supervisory Board
Shares of PJSC CB "PrivatBank" were equally distributed among 21 individuals (99.794% of the total number of shares) and 5 legal entities (0.206%). Thereat over 98% of shares are owned by the two shareholders: Hennadiy Boholubov (23 773,384 shares or 49.027% of the total number) and Ihor Kolomoyskyi (23 834,849 shares or 49.154%).
Innovative technologies in everyday PrivatBank operations help to maintain its leading position at the Ukrainian financial market. PrivatBank employees utilize both commonly used technologies such as Skype, Google Docs and Google Wave and their own exclusive developments, for example, electronic document management system "PrivatDoc". PrivatBank was the first bank in Ukraine to offer to its customers a simple internet-banking. On 20 January 2011 "Privat24" internet-bank included 773′890 users. Other today widely used bank′s technologies are
- Mobilebanking System that allows a customer manage his/her bank card accounts and make payments through a mobile phone by SMS with the code to the bank server
- LiqPAY — payment platform, designed by PrivatBank specialists, combining Visa money transfer technology, and advantages of Internet and mobile channels
- 3-D Secure Technology launched by the bank in 2010 provides protection against fraud
- Electronic "Coin-Free" change technology allows transferring change to a customer not in coins, but in the form of electronic money to its mobile phone account or in the form of electronic voucher.
In 2011 PrivatBank, plans to launch a new social project "PrivatBank against drugs".
In January 2011, PrivatBank within 24 hours arranged fee-free fundraising campaign to aid Domodedovo explosion victims (Moscow, Russian Federation). Only in Ukraine over UAH 105 thousand was raised. In October 2010 it aided to families of those who died in the road accident in Marganets (Dnepropetrovsk Region, Ukraine); UAH 101 thousand raised),
In 2010, PrivatBank established a separate charity project "To help is easy!" designed to collect donations for orphanages. The bank provides its ATM infrastructure for fee-free fundraising for charity funds.
In March 2010, it supported sufferers from the explosion in Moscow Subway (UAH 11 thousand)
In June–July 2008, the company helped sufferers from the flood in Eastern Ukraine (UAH 530 thousand).
In 2008, JuniorBank was formed, where children and teenagers learn finance. In 2010, within the project "Create with pleasure!", exhibition galleries with creative works of retirees were arranged in the bank departments. With the help of "Skype: Victory Day" project veterans from many cities and countries were able to find their friends and talk to them. The project was nominated to the European Excellence Awards 2010.
According to the bank itself, it has since received several international banking awards.
1999-2002 — Euromoney magazine recognized PrivatBank was the best bank in Ukraine at home market (Awards for Excellence rating).
1999 — Global Finance magazine named PrivatBank the best Ukrainian bank at emerging markets.
1999, 2003-2004 — The Best Bank of Ukraine at the World’s Bank Best Awards.
2000, 2002 and 2020 — The Banker named PrivatBank The best bank of Ukraine (Bank of the year rating).
2001-2009 – eight years in a row Global magazine acknowledged PrivatBank the best bank in the World’s Best Foreign Exchange rating.
2003 – PrivatBank is the best Ukrainian World’s Best Bank 2003 (Global Finance rating).
2004 – PrivatBank is named The Best Bank of 2004 (global rating of FOREX market operators by Global Finance magazine).
2005 – Best Emerging Market Banks rating named PrivatBank The Best Bank of Ukraine.
2007 – MoneyGram Payment Systems, Inc. (USA) awarded PrivatBank the Certificate Excellence for the fastest network development.
2009 — Best Local Bank in Ukraine, EMEA Finance magazine named PrivatBank the best bank of Ukraine in the Best Local Bank 2009 rating.
2010 — by results of the year The Banker magazine acknowledged Electronic Change technology of PrivatBank the best in the nomination Best Innovation in Cash and Treasury Technology in Innovation in Banking Technology Awards rating.
2010 — PrivatBank confirmed its status of the absolute leader at Ukrainian banking system in the level of customer trust within the global project The World’s Most Reputable Companies.
International PrivatBank network comprises such bank partners as MoscomPrivatBank (Russian Federation), AS PrivatBank (Latvia), AS PrivatBank (Portugal) and TaoPrivatBank (Georgia). Besides, PrivatBank has its branches and representative offices in 12 countries of the world, including Italy, Cyprus, Great Britain and China. On 16 August 2007, the name of PrivatBank's Latvian subsidiary, AS Banka Paritāte, was officially changed to AS PrivatBank as part of a strategy to strengthen the banking group's regional brand recognition.
References and notes
- General Information 1 October 2005
- "Every fifth Ukrainian bank operated at a loss in 2010, KyivPost, 9 Feb 2011". Kyivpost.com. 2011-02-10. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- The correct romanization from the Ukrainian alphabet should spell PryvatBank
- "CIS Banks Review". Interfax. 2006-02-16. Archived from the original on 2008-01-11. Retrieved 2008-01-26.
- General Information, Official website
- Political Pulse: Presidential field takes shape, Kyiv Post (November 11, 2009)
- "Skype press release PrivatBank and Skype to Become Partners in Ukraine". 2008-12-08. Retrieved 2011-03-01.
- "Ukrainians send money for Domodedovo blast victims, KyivPost, 28 Jan 2011". Kyivpost.com. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- General Information from official website
- "PrivatBank press release The Banker: PrivatBank Is The Best Bank In Ukraine". 2010-10-28. Retrieved 2011-03-01.
- "PrivatBank expands into Georgia, KyivPost, 9 Aug 2007". Kyivpost.com. 2007-08-09. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- "AS PrivatBank press release". 2007-08-17. Retrieved 2008-02-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to PrivatBank.|
- Official website (English)
- PrivatBank on the map: ATMs, payment terminals, departments, points of sale, connected to Bonus+ program of PrivatBank on the map (Russian)
- Kartus by PrivatBank on the map — application for iPhone and iPod Touch which helps promptly find any PrivatBank unit
- Social network of PrivatBank agents
- Official website of Bonus+ program
- Fitch Affirms Ukraine's Privatbank at Long-term 'B', Individual 'D'