Prix Jacques Le Marois
|Prix Jacques Le Marois|
|Group 1 race|
|Race type||Flat / Thoroughbred|
|Sponsor||Haras de Fresnay-le-Buffard|
|Distance||1,600 metres (1 mile)|
|Qualification||Three-years-old and up
|Weight||56 kg (3yo); 59 kg (4yo+)
1½ kg for fillies and mares
The Prix Jacques Le Marois is a Group 1 flat horse race in France open to thoroughbred colts and fillies aged three years or older. It is run at Deauville over a distance of 1,600 metres (about 1 mile), and it is scheduled to take place each year in August.
The event is named in memory of Jacques Le Marois (1865–1920), a president of the venue's former governing body, the Société des Courses de Deauville. It was established in 1921, and was originally restricted to three-year-olds.
Deauville Racecourse was closed during World War II, and the Prix Jacques Le Marois was cancelled in 1940. For the remainder of this period it was switched between Maisons-Laffitte (1941–43, 1945) and Longchamp (1944). It returned to Deauville in 1946, and was opened to horses aged four or older in 1952.
The Fresnay-le-Buffard stud farm became the sponsor of the Prix Jacques Le Marois in 1986. From this point the event was known as the Prix du Haras de Fresnay-le-Buffard-Jacques Le Marois.
Most successful horse (2 wins):
Leading jockey (6 wins):
- Freddy Head – Carabella (1967), Lyphard (1972), Northjet (1981), Miesque (1987, 1988), Hector Protector (1991)
Leading trainer (7 wins):
- François Boutin – Nonoalco (1974), Miesque (1987, 1988), Priolo (1990), Hector Protector (1991), Exit to Nowhere (1992), East of the Moon (1994)
Leading owner (10 wins):
- Marcel Boussac – Zariba (1922), Xander (1928), Cillas (1938), Semiramide (1939), Priam (1944), Coaraze (1945), Djelal (1947), Golestan (1948), Arbele (1952), Canthare (1953)
Winners since 1972
a Proudwings finished first in 2001, but she was relegated to last place following a stewards' inquiry.
- 1938: Cillas
- 1939: Semiramide
- 1940: no race
- 1941: Princesse Palatine
- 1942: Fine Art
- 1943: Dogat
- 1944: Priam
- 1945: Coaraze
- 1946: Sayani
- 1947: Djelal
- 1948: Golestan
- 1949: Amour Drake
- 1950: Fort Napoleon
- 1951: Seigneur
- 1952: Arbele
- 1953: Canthare
- 1954: Ti Moun
- "2012 Breeders' Cup Challenge Schedule" (PDF). breederscup.com. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- France Galop / Racing Post: