Probably Wouldn't Be This Way
|"Probably Wouldn't Be This Way"|
|Single by LeAnn Rimes|
|from the album This Woman|
|LeAnn Rimes singles chronology|
"Probably Wouldn't Be This Way" is the title of a song written by John Kennedy and Tammi Kidd, and recorded by American country music singer LeAnn Rimes. It was released in 2005 as the second single from the album This Woman.
It is generally accepted as a haunting song with a darker tone. Although considered by many to be a typical break-up song, the lyrics, "You ought'a see the way these people look at me / When they see me 'round here talkin' to this stone," suggest that the song is actually about the death of a husband/fiance/lover/boyfriend. The video suggests that the person she is referring to was her husband since she is wearing a wedding band and not an engagement ring.
In an interview with Biography, LeAnn explains that "the story is of a woman who is mourning the loss of losing her lover and doesn't know if she can move on again from that."
|US Billboard Hot 100||54|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||3|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||8|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||26|
In the music video, which was directed by David McClister, LeAnn Rimes is wearing a ring on her ring finger, suggesting that she was married. Towards the beginning of the video, a wedding dress and flowers are in her house that would usually be seen at a funeral. Other scenes show her knocking feathers out of a pillow, lying on a bed, and trying to commit suicide by drowning in a bathtub.
The music video was ranked #29 on CMT's 100 Greatest Videos.
- "LeAnn Rimes Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for LeAnn Rimes. Retrieved 2010-08-28.
- "LeAnn Rimes Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for LeAnn Rimes. Retrieved 2010-08-28.
- "LeAnn Rimes Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Contemporary for LeAnn Rimes. Retrieved 2010-08-28.
- "Best of 2005: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2005. Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- "100 Greatest Videos". Retrieved 2008-07-29.[dead link]