Proceedings of the IEEE
|Proceedings of the IEEE|
|Proceedings of the IRE|
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Discipline||Electrical engineering, electronics, computer technology|
|Edited by||Robert J. Trew|
The Proceedings of the IEEE is a monthly peer-reviewed scientific journal published by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). The journal focuses on electrical engineering and computer science. According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2011 impact factor of 6.810, ranking it second out of 245 journals in the category "Engineering, Electrical & Electronic".
History of the Proceedings
The journal was established in 1909, known as the Proceedings of the Wireless Institute. Six issues were published under this banner by Greenleaf Pickard and Alfred Goldsmith. Then in 1911 a merger between the Wireless Institute (New York) and the Society of Wireless Telegraph Engineers (Boston) resulted in a society named the Institute of Radio Engineers (IRE).
In January 1913 newly formed IRE published the first issue of the Proceedings of the IRE. Later, a 1000 page special issue commemorated the IRE's fiftieth anniversary in May 1962. One of the founding editors, Alfred Norton Goldsmith, tallied 42 years as the first editor-in-chief. When the IEEE was formed in 1963 as a merger of IRE and the American Institute of Electrical Engineers, the journal obtained its current name.
Abstracting and indexing
- Science Citation Index
- Science Citation Index Expanded
- Current Contents / Engineering, Computing & Technology
- Chemical Abstracts Service - CASSI
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Engineering, Electrical & Electronic". 2011 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2013.
- "History of the Proceedings". Proceedings of the IEEE. 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-02.
- "Alfred N. Goldsmith, 1888–1974". IEEE History Center. Retrieved 2013-02-19.
- Master Journal List. Thomson Reuters. 2013.
- CASSI (search tool). Chemical Abstracts Service. American Chemical Society. 2013.
- Brittain, James E. (1996). "The evolution of electrical and electronics engineering and the Proceedings of the IRE: 1913–1937". Proceedings of the IEEE 84 (12): 1747–1772. doi:10.1109/5.546400.