|Elevation||155 m (509 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|PIN||516360 / 516361|
|ISO 3166 code||[[ISO 3166-2:IN|]]|
|Sex ratio||1.008 ♂/♀|
Proddatur is the second largest town and an urban agglomeration in YSR district of Andhra Pradesh state in India. According to 2011 census, it has apopulation of more than 150,000 in the town and more than 200,000 in the metropolitan area. The town is a Grade I municipal corporation and is located 51 kilometres (32 mi) away from the district capital, Kadapa. The urban agglomeration (metropolitan area) includes Proddatur town, Bollavaram, Gopavaram, Modameedipalle and Rameswaram.
Proddatur is on the banks of river Penna. Its neighbouring towns include Jammalamadugu,Mydukuru,Yerraguntla and duvvuru Jammalamadugu and Mydukur are just 20 Km away from PRoddatur.Frequent buses are available to Mydukur and Jammalamadugu .Yerraguntla is just 12 Km away from Prodatur . Bus facility is available for every five minutes to Yerraguntla. Duvvuru is 15 km away frm city buses are available evey 30 mins . . Proddatur is a golden city it has a large kind of gold and cotton bussines all over india so proddatur is also called as SECOND MUMBAI . . the festival dasara is grandly celabrated in proddatur after mysoor all over india so it is also called as SECOND MYSOORE
The agglomeration of Proddatur town is 3,50,000 including Proddatur urban,Gopavaram panchayat,Kottapalle panchayat,somulavari palli panchayat and remaininig other nearby villages The town is largest even than kadapa in population but smaller in area
The town is well connected by rail and road. The nearest railway station is Yerraguntla, located 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) from the town and on the Mumbai-Chennai railway line. A new railway station is under construction in Proddatur on the bypass road in Dorasani Palli area near Jammalamadugu Road. State government owned APSRTC runs buses to many cities and town of the state.
Places of worship
Kanyaka Parameswari Aalayam (established in 1890 A.D), located on Yerraguntla Road. Sri Rameshwaram Temple is also known as Mukthi Rameswaram, Dakshina Kasi and Ramalingeswaram, one of the oldest temple in Proddatur, located on the banks of Pinakini River.About Sri Rameswaram Temple in hoparoundindia.com
- Santha Kumari- South Indian drama and movie actress
- Puttaparthi Narayanacharya- Poet, also known as Saraswati Putra
- Padmanabham - Famous Telugu comedian
- Gouru Tirupati Reddy - Vastu Shastra exponent, titled as Vastu Ratnakaram
- Gurivi Reddy - 2nd highest blood donor in Asia.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "IndiaPost - Pincode Search - Proddatur". New Delhi, India: India Post. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "STD Codes (Andhra Pradesh)". Sarkaritel. 2005. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "Census India - ALPHABETICAL LIST OF TOWNS AND THEIR POPULATION - ANDHRA PRADESH". India: Office of the Registrar General & Census Commissioner. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- Kanyaka prameshwari, prameshwari. "Hindu Temple". Retrieved 21 March 2013.