Promotion is one of the market mix elements or features, and a term used frequently in marketing. The specification of five promotional mix or promotional plan. These elements are personal selling, advertising, sales promotion, direct marketing, and publicity. A promotional mix specifies how much attention to pay to each of the five subcategories, and how much money to budget for each. A promotional plan can have a wide range of objectives, including: sales increases, new product acceptance, creation of brand equity, positioning, competitive retaliations, or creation of a corporate image. Fundamentally, however there are three basic objectives of promotion. These are:
- To present information to consumers as well as others.
- To increase demand.
- To differentiate a product.
There are different ways to promote a product in different areas of media. Promoters use internet advertisement, special events, endorsements, and newspapers to advertise their product. Many times with the purchase of a product there is an incentive like discounts, free items, or a contest. This is to increase the sales of a given product.
The term "promotion" is usually an "in" expression used internally by the marketing company, but not normally to the public or the market - phrases like "special offer" are more common. An example of a fully integrated, long-term, large-scale promotion are My Coke Rewards and Pepsi Stuff. The UK version of My Coke Rewards is Coke Zone.
Promotional activities to push a brand enabling social media channels to spread content making something viral such as the advertising by Coke  using the release of a new bond film creating a huge amount of attention which then gets promoted across all social channels by people spreading the information due to excitement.
Promotion can be done by different media, namely print media which includes Newspaper and magazines, Electronic media which includes radio and television, Digital media which includes internet, social networking and social media sites and lastly outdoor media which includes banner ads, OOH (out of home) .
- Sales promotion
- List of marketing topics
- Marketing management
- Spin (public relations)
- Market mix modeling
- Rajagopal. (2007) Marketing Dynamics: Theory and Practice. New Delhi, India: New Age International. Retrieved April 5, 2010, from NJIT EBook Library: http://www.njit.eblib.com.libdb.njit.edu:8888/patron/FullRecord.aspx?p=437711
- Kurtz, Dave. (2010). Contemporary Marketing Mason, OH: South-Western Cengage Learning.
- Advertising by Coke: http://www.chameleonwebservices.co.uk/advertising-by-coke-to-unlock-the-007-in-us/
- Coca-Cola Christmas Advert :http://www.thedrum.com/news/2013/11/08/coca-cola-christmas-ad-hit-screens-during-x-factor
|This marketing-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|