Professional writing involves the use of clear language to convey information in a way that is easily understood by the intended audience. Individuals who can use language well may be employed as full-time professional writers in a variety of communications-related occupations, such as journalist, web content manager, marketer, advertising copywriter, public relations account executive, communications director, grant writer, editor, technical writer, web developer, marketing director, or publications specialist. In addition, professional writing skills are essential to success in many other fields as well, from attorneys and physicians to business managers, engineering, and social workers.
Professional writing is/as rhetorical
Professional writing is connected to the concept of rhetoric. Rhetoric focuses on informing or persuading an audience, and a successful professional writer is able to create interest in their audience. Moreover, this is combined with the aspects of the professional world which is typically done within a professional atmosphere, be it a workplace or as freelance work, created by someone who has knowledge and skills at writing and comprehends the wide range of requirements needed to successfully create the pieces being composed.
One of the main principles of rhetoric, when applied to the work of professional writers, is the art of effective communication and creating authoritative arguments.
Skills of Professional Writers
Good professional writers have many skills including:
- Good communication skills
- Grammar and language skills
- Clarity and concision 
Professional writing by industry
Some examples of when professional writing is used in different industries:
- Case Studies
- Client Correspondence
- Advertising (Copywriting)
- Market Analysis
Science and Engineering
- Journal Articles
- Technical Reports
- Grant Proposals
- Inventory Reporting
- Damage Reporting
- Recording contracts
- Project proposals
- Website Authoring - Magazine and book editing
- Writing in the Age of Distraction, professional writing advice from author Cory Doctorow
- Professional Writing Tips and Advice, professional writing tips and advice from Clarity the writing experts
- Professional Writing.Purdue University College of Liberal Arts. Retrieved November 7, 2014.
- Garay, Mary Sue, Bernhardt, Stephen. Expand Literacies: English teaching and the new workplace. Albany: State University of New York Press, 1990. Print.
- Tebeaux, Elizabeth.Redesigning Professional Writing Courses to Meet the Communication Needs of Writers in Business and Industry. National Council of Teachers of English, 1985. Web.