Progress Rail Services
|Private (subsidiary of Caterpillar)|
|Founded||Albertville, Alabama, U.S. (1982 )|
|Headquarters||Albertville, Alabama, United States|
Number of locations
|United States - 110
Mexico - 28
Canada - 4
Brazil - 2
UK - 5
Italy - 1
Germany - 1
|William P Ainsworth, Chief Executive Officer|
|Products||Remanufactured locomotives and railcars
Rail and other track materials
Signals & communication products
Rail welding equipment
Remanufactured trackwork components
Railroad MOW equipment
Vegetation control equipment
|Services||Rail and other track material sorting
Signal & Communication design, installation and maintenance
Equipment financing, leasing and rental
Locomotive and railcar repair and refurbishment
Number of employees
|Divisions||Engineering & Track Services (ETS)
Locomotive & Railcar Services (LRS)
MGE – Equipamentos e Servicos Ferroviarios Ltda
Progress Rail Leasing Corporation
Progress Rail Inspection & Information Systems Srl & GmbH
|Footnotes / references
Progress Rail Services Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Caterpillar since 2006, is a supplier of railroad and transit system products and services headquartered in Albertville, Alabama, United States. Founded as a recycling company in 1982, Progress Rail has increased the number of its product and service offerings over time to become one of the largest integrated and diversified suppliers of railroad and transit system products and services in North America. Progress Rail markets products and services worldwide and maintains 110 facilities in the United States, 34 in Mexico, four in Canada, two in Brazil, five in UK, one in Italy, and one in Germany. Progress Rail is organized into two divisions: Engineering & Track Services (ETS) and Locomotive & Railcar Services (LRS).
Progress Rail Services Corporation traces its roots to a recycling company founded in Albertville, Alabama, United States in 1982.
In February 2005, Progress Energy announced it was selling Progress Rail to One Equity Partners for $405 million. The sale closed on March 28, 2005, with Progress Rail becoming a separate private company.
On May 17, 2006, Caterpillar Inc. announced it would purchase Progress Rail from One Equity Partners for $1 billion in cash, stock and debt. The acquisition by Caterpillar was announced as part of its long-term strategy, Vision 2020.
On May 24, 2008 Caterpillar agreed to acquire all of the capital stock of MGE - Equipamentos e Serviços Ferroviários Ltda., a São Paulo, Brazil-based locomotive component and transit car services company to become part of Caterpillar's Progress Rail Services Corporation. The acquisition of MGE marked Progress Rail's first entry into the South American market.
On June 1, 2010, Caterpillar announced Progress Rail Services Corporation would buy Electro-Motive Diesel from Berkshire Partners LLC and Greenbriar Equity Group LLC for US$820 million. The purchase was completed on August 2, 2010, making Electro-Motive Diesel a wholly owned subsidiary of Progress Rail Services Corporation.
During 2010, Progress Rail acquired two makers of signal equipment, Coast to Coast Signal Engineering and C&S Signaling, as well as a General Electric subsidiary involved in the signal industry; now Progress Rail Inspection & Information Systems.
During October 2013, Caterpillar announced that a federal criminal indictment had been secured against Progress Rail Services. This indictment will probe stealing from Union Pacific Railroad, among others in an ongoing (alleged) fraud for replacing brake parts on railroad cars that were not necessary. In order to hide this alleged criminal activity, Caterpillar/Progress Rail Services decided to dump barges full of environmentally hazardous material off the coast of Long Beach, California.
Progress Rail currently offers four models of locomotives:
- PR15B locomotive with 2 CAT C-18 gensets
- PR22B locomotive with 3 CAT C-18 gensets
- PR22L TR class 2013 for TasRail (1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in) gauge) x 17
Progress Rail's Signal Division makes grade crossing and wayside signals under the name Lincoln Industries.
- "Progress Rail Services - Company Overview". progressrail.com. Progress Rail Services Corporation. 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-10-24. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
Progress Rail Services Corporation, a subsidiary of Caterpillar Inc.,...
- "MGE Transportes". mgetransportes.com. MGE Equipamentos & Serviços Ferroviários Ltda. 2009. Archived from the original on 2010-10-24. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
...two factories: one in Diadema and another in Hortolandia, both in the state of Sao Paulo.
- "The Power of Progress at Work". progressrail.com. Progress Rail Services Corporation. 2010. Archived from the original (ADOBE SHOCKWAVE FLASH VIDEO - .SWF) on 2010-10-24. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
Two divisions....Locomotive & Railcar Services....Engineering & Track Services...
- "Progress Rail Services - Services - Recycling". progressrail.com. Progress Rail Services Corporation. 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-10-24. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
Progress Rail Services started out as a recycling company in the early 1980s, and although we have expanded our line of product and service offerings,...
- Progress Energy announces sale of rail services subsidiary, Progress Energy, 18 February 2005
- Progress Energy closes on sale of rail subsidiary , Progress Energy, 28 March 2005
- Caterpillar to acquire Progress Rail, PRdomain, 17 May 2006
- "Progress Rail announces Brazilian locomotive plant", www.railwaygazette.com (Railway Gazette International), 27 July 2011
- "Caterpillar expands diesel-electric locomotive manufacturing plant in Brazil", en.mercopress.com (MercoPress), 25 July 2011
- "Caterpillar Announces Acquisition of Leading Brazilian Locomotive Component and Transit Car Services Company" (Press release). Caterpillar, Inc. 2008-06-24. Archived from the original on 2010-10-24. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
MGE Equipamentos & Servicos Ferroviarios Ltda. will become part of Caterpillar's Progress Rail Services Division
- "Progress Rail Services - Progress Rail Acquires Electro-Motive Diesel". progressrail.com. Progress Rail Services Corporation. 2010-06-01. Archived from the original on 2010-10-24. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
Progress Rail Services has signed a definitive agreement to purchase Electro-Motive Diesel (EMD) for $820 million in cash from Berkshire Partners LLC and Greenbriar Equity Group LLC. Upon completion of the transaction, EMD will become a wholly owned subsidiary of Progress Rail.
- "Progress Rail Services Finalizes Electro-Motive Diesel Acquisition" (Press release). Caterpillar. 2010-08-02. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-10-29. Retrieved 2010-10-29.
Progress Rail Services announced today it has finalized the purchase of Electro-Motive Diesel...
- [tt_news=12556&cHash=8967e69f2a "Progress Rail buys Coast to Coast Signal Engineering"]. Railway Gazette International. 22 December 2010. Retrieved 23 December 2010.
- "U.S. Prosecutors Investigate Caterpillar Unit". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- "Progress Rail Services". TrainWeb. Retrieved 31 July 2010.
- "Novidades na Linha - PROGRESS RAIL PR7B – CBTU NATAL" (PDF). Central Ferreo. Retrieved 28 April 2013.
- New locomotive fleet for Tasmania railexpress.com.au 15 December 2011
- TasRail unveils its two new locomotives TasRail 3 December 2013
- PR221 Branch Line Locomotive & Derivatives Downer Rail
- TR class Railpage
- TR class Rail Tasmania
- "Progress Rail Services Corporation", progressrail.com, company website
- "Lincoln Industries - Railroad Equipment Manufacture, Fabrication, Rebuild And Installation", lincoln-industries.com, Lincoln Industries website
- "MGE", www.mgetransportes.com.br (in Portuguese), MGE Transportes website
- "Electro Motive Diesel", www.emdiesels.com, EMD company website