Progression of England association football caps record
This is a progressive list of association footballers who have held or co-held the record for international caps for the England national football team, beginning with Charles Chenery and Harwood Greenhalgh, the only England players to appear in both of the first two international games played.
For the early decades, counts of caps were often considered unreliable. RSSSF and IFFHS have spent much effort trying to produce definitive lists of full international matches, and corresponding data on players' international caps and goals. Using this data, the following records can be retrospectively produced. Note that, at the time, these records may not have been recognised.
One point of note is that early matches by the England Amateur side were played against the full national side of opponents. These matches are counted as full internationals by the IFFHS and the opposing FAs, though not by the (English) FA. This affects Vivian Woodward, who won 23 full caps and 30 amateur caps. This article uses the Football Association's definition, and therefore excludes Woodward's international amateur appearances. He thus does not appear on this list.
- England lost 3–4 on penalties
- List of footballers with 100 or more caps
- Progression of England association football goalscoring record
- Progression of association football caps record
- England International Results 1872-1899 RSSSF
- England International Results 1900-1919 RSSSF
- William Ambrose "Billy" Wright - International Appearances RSSSF
- Robert "Bobby" Charlton - International Appearances RSSSF
- Robert Frederick Chelsea "Bobby" Moore - International Appearances RSSSF
- Peter Leslie Shilton - International Appearances RSSSF