Progressive Citizens' Party
|Progressive Citizens' Party|
|European affiliation||European Democrat Union|
|Politics of Liechtenstein
The Progressive Citizens' Party (German: Fortschrittliche Bürgerpartei in Liechtenstein, English: Progressive Citizens' Party in Liechtenstein, FBP) is a national conservative political party in Liechtenstein. Founded in 1918 along with the now-defunct Christian-Social People's Party, it is the oldest continuously existing party in Liechtenstein.
The party was established in 1918 by middle class citizens and members of the agricultural community as a response to the formation of the Christian-Social People's Party (VP). It won the majority of the elected seats in the 1918 elections, but the VP formed a government.
The VP won elections in 1922, January 1926 and April 1926, but the FBP won the 1928 elections, and became the party of government until 1938, with Josef Hoop serving as Prime Minister until 1945. In 1938 the FBP allowed the Patriotic Union to join it in a coalition government. The two parties governed in coalition until the 1997 elections, after which the Patriotic Union formed a government. The FBP won the 2001 elections and its leader Otmar Hasler became Prime Minister. Following the 2005 elections the coalition was renewed, with Hasler remaining Prime Minister. The VU's Klaus Tschütscher held the post between 2009 and 2013, after which FBP leader Adrian Hasler became Prime Minister.
- "Fortschrittliche Bürgerpartei". e-archiv.li (in German). Liechtenstein National Archives. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Liechtenstein Parties and Elections
- "History". Fürstentum Liechtenstein. Government of Liechtenstein Marketing. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- Vincent E McHale (1983) Political parties of Europe, Greenwood Press, p609 ISBN 0-313-23804-9
- Nohlen, D & Stöver, P (2010) Elections in Europe: A data handbook, p1182 ISBN 978-3-8329-5609-7
- McHale, p611
- Nohlen & Stöver, p1157
- Official website (German)
|This article about a political party from Liechtenstein is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|