|Headquarters||Seattle, Washington, USA|
|Key people||Paul Allen|
|Subsidiaries||Charter Communications, Rose City Radio Corporation, Seattle Seahawks, Portland Trail Blazers, Mojave Aerospace Ventures (among others)|
The following is a partial list of investments made by Vulcan.
- Charter Communications
- DreamWorks Animation – Formerly co-owned by Vulcan, later spun off as an independent company.
- Oxygen Network
- Rose City Radio Corporation, which owns several radio stations, including:
- The Sporting News and Sporting News Radio
- TechTV Formerly owned by Vulcan and later sold to Comcast; merged with G4 and as of October 2013 was shut down by Comcast's NBCUniversal division
Museums, theatres, and galleries
- Seattle Cinerama theater
- The Hospital studios and gallery in London
- Experience Music Project and Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame
- Flying Heritage Collection in Everett, Washington
- Living Computer Museum
- 505 Union Station and Union Station (Seattle)
- Sammamish Park Place
- South Lake Union
- Rollin Street Flats
- Veer Lofts
- 2200 Westlake
- Tempe Gateway, an eight story office building in Tempe, Arizona. It is the company's first investment outside Seattle.
Technology and medicine
Vulcan, Inc. has also directly led some technology projects, including the following:
Vulcan Spectrum, a branch of Vulcan, Inc., participated in the United States 2008 wireless spectrum auction, paying $69 million for "A Block" spectrum in the Seattle-Tacoma-Bremerton area, and $43.6 million for "A Block" spectrum in Portland-Salem.
In 2003, Vulcan began developing the Vulcan FlipStart a subnotebook with a 5.6-inch screen. The company began to manufacture and sell the FlipStart in March 2007, and ceased production in May 2008.
Project Halo is a project that has run since October 2002, with the goal of creating a "digital Aristotle" that can correctly answer queries about scientific information, using artificial intelligence technology. Project Halo has led to a number of spinoff technologies, including the wiki software bundle SMW+, the Semantic Inferencing on Large Knowledge (SILK) project and the Automated User-Centered Reasoning and Acquisition System (AURA).
- Who Owns What: Vulcan, Columbia Journalism Review
- Sunnucks, Mike (2010-06-17). "Paul Allen's Vulcan Inc. pays $35M for Tempe building".
- Paur, Jason (2011-12-13). "Microsoft Billionaire Paul Allen Launches New Space Venture". Wired (New York). Archived from the original on 2011-12-14. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- Mecham, Michael; Frank Morring, Jr. (2011-12-20). "Allen Places Big Bet On Air Launches". Aviation Week. Retrieved 2011-12-23. "the ... team is still working through details of how to progress toward its 2016 first launch."
- dailywireless.org » Verizon Gets the “C” Block
- Is FlipStart closing up shop?, Joshua Topolsky, Engadget, May 4, 2008
- Project Halo homepage
- SILK homepage
- "Automated User-Centered Reasoning and Acquisition System". Artificial Intelligence Center. SRI International. Retrieved 2013-06-13.