|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
Project Insight (P.I.) is a division of the San Francisco, California Recreation & Parks Department which provides recreational and learning activities for hearing-impaired and vision-impaired children, teenagers, young adults.
Founded circa 1990, Project Insight is based at Wawona Clubhouse in the Sigmund Stern Recreation Grove, two miles south of San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. Participants, staff and volunteers use American Sign Language.
Purpose and activities
- Strives to integrate young people with disabilities into the general community, while supporting their individuality, independence, dignity, and cultural diversity
- Promotes learning and development, focusing on self-expression, teamwork, education and building cognitive, social and motor skills
- Provides a variety of recreation, outdoor adventure and cultural activities, including:
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (December 2009)|
- "Project Insight website". (includes photo albums from skiing, rock climbing and white water rafting trips).
- "Sense of stroke". Gilroy Dispatch. 29 October 2003.
- Nanette Asimov (16 September 2006). "Robinson Wadsworth — musician, adventurer". San Francisco Chronicle.
Taiko drumming — thunderous and thrilling — was tailor-made for his kids at Project Insight, decided Mr. Wadsworth, who kept a set of drums at the Recreation and Park Department. The drums were so loud that many youngsters could hear their sounds, [P.I. Director] Metcalf-Tobin said. Even those who were profoundly deaf could feel the drum's vibrations. "They'd just go wild on it," he said.
- "Taiko Drumming at NTID". Sponsored by Rochester Institute of Technology National Technical Institute for the Deaf and PEN-International with support from San Francisco Taiko Dojo, Grand Master Seiichi Tanaka and Project Insight staff member Artist in residence (photo gallery). Three week program, February 1–21, 2004. Check date values in: