|Developer(s)||Project Reality and Black Sand Studios|
|Engine||Refractor 2 Engine|
|Release date(s)||August 7, 2005|
|Mode(s)||Singleplayer, Multiplayer (Advance and Secure (AASv4), Command & Control (CnC), Co-operative, Insurgency, Skirmish, Vehicle Warfare)|
|Distribution||Download PR (5.8GB)|
Project Reality (abbreviated to PR) is a series of tactical first-person shooter video games which aim to create a realistic combat environment and place great emphasis on teamwork and cooperation, taking place in both fictional and historic contemporary military conflicts. Project Reality includes two modifications for the computer game Battlefield 2 on the PC, a modification for the computer game ArmA 2, and an unreleased standalone sequel Project Reality 2 built on the CryENGINE 3, still in production.
Project Reality features five game modes. Two of the game modes involve capturing and holding control points, similar to the Conquest mode of Battlefield 2, although control points must be captured in a certain order, for a battle. Vehicle Warfare mode differs by putting full emphasis on heavy vehicles, and restricting access to infantry kits. The Command and Control mode removes all control points, instead focusing combat around player built fortifications. The Insurgency mode, intended to simulate asymmetrical warfare, involves a conventional forces team searching for and destroying illegal weapon caches while the other team, the insurgents, try to defend them. The mod also features a co-op mode, where human players may play alongside or against computer controlled players. Co-op can also serve as a single-player mode (with bots standing in for teammates).
In contrast the original system of Battlefield 2, players may not spawn at their squad leader when they die, but must instead spawn at permanent spawn points such as main bases, or at temporary rally points created by the squad leader. Players may also spawn at Forward Operating Bases which can be constructed if supply crates are delivered to the desired location. When constructed, other fixed defences such as stationary machine guns and various defensive constructs such as can be placed afterwards.
The Insurgency game mode diverts slightly from these rules, limiting the insurgent side to spawn on their weapons caches which they must defend, lest they lose the ability to spawn. The opposing team can find out the location of these caches by catching informants for the insurgents, after which an enemy cache will be marked on the conventional forces' map, indicating its position. However, insurgents can still deploy and construct destructible to spawn at, which act in a similar way to the Forward Operating Bases in conventional game modes.
Before spawning, the player must choose their equipment by selecting a "class". The player may select various types including Medic, Automatic Rifleman, and Squad Leader. allowing access to sniper rifles, anti-tank equipment, but also kits allowing the player to access vehicles that would otherwise be inaccessible to them such as aircraft or tanks.
Project Reality 2
In early 2009 it was revealed through the official Project Reality forums that a standalone successor Project Reality 2 is in pre-production. A license for the C4 Engine has been purchased as of 2010. There is no set release date for the game.
An entry for a game called "Project Reality 2 - The Beaten Zone" has been posted to the official Crytek developers community crytek.net, stating that the game would be using the CryEngine 3. Project Reality staff have dismissed the supposed engine change as rumor, and did not acknowledge any connection to the crydev.net posting.
However, new announcements from the Dev Team, made sure that PR2 will be in fact using the CryENGINE 3, since most of the people involved on the development of the game on the C4 Engine thought it's not so good to work with it, and they have chosen the CE3 as their new engine to work on.
Project Reality: ARMA 2 (PR:ARMA2)
|Project Reality : ArmA2|
|Engine||Real Virtuality 3|
|Release date(s)||September 2nd, 2011|
|Genre(s)||Tactical shooter, Military Simulation, Open world|
PR:ARMA2 exists as a standalone modification requiring both ARMA 2 and ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead. It remains self-contained, self developing and does not rely on or use externally held add-ons from other sources where at all possible. What that means to the player is that it is a 'one stop shop' as an installation package, with no requirement for additional multiple add on packs.
PR:ARMA2 v0.1 BETA was released on September 2 which was shortly followed by the release of PR:ARMA v0.15 beta on March 16, 2012. A year later on March 1, 2013 0.16 version was released including two new terrains (maps). With the release came the news of a cease in development with the ARMA2 mod and a movements of efforts towards ARMA 3.
Project Reality: Vietnam
Project Reality: Vietnam is a joint co-operative effort between the mod teams of Project Reality: BF2 and Eve of Destruction. On April 1, 2012, it was announced that the first Project Reality: Vietnam beta would be released April 6, 2012.[dated info] It contains four maps (including one based on the battle of la Drang) and features the North Vietnamese Army, United States Marine Corps and the US Army as playable factions.
Major game review websites, IGN and GameSpy have both reviewed Project Reality. IGN review states "why all BF2 players should download this mod." while GameSpy says that "the mother of all realism mods [has] arrive[d] for BF2". PC Zone Magazine also reviewed Project Reality, saying that "not only does it make the virtual warfare harsher, Project Reality also adds fantastic new maps, vehicles and weapons to the fray".
Project Reality: BF2 has been recognized on multiple occasions, including:
- Addition to Mod DB's Mod Hall of Fame in December 2010, alongside other well known modifications such as Garry's Mod, Counter-Strike and Team Fortress.
- Mod DB's Mod of the Year and Editor's Choice of Best Multiplayer Mod in 2008.
- Second place in Mod DB's Mod of the Year awards in 2006 and 2007.
- "Best FPS Mod" in GameFlood's $25,000 Mod & Map Contest.
- Total Gaming Network's award for "Best Modification" in 2007.
Project Reality: Arma 2 won Mod DB's Players Choice of Best Upcoming Mod of the Year Award.
- "Project Reality Mini-Mod". Project Reality Forums. Retrieved 2005-08-07.
- "Project Reality 2". Project Reality. Retrieved 2013-01-17.
- "The Beaten Zone". crydev.net. Crytek UK Ltd. Retrieved 2013-01-17.
- BloodyDeed (2012-07-23). "PR2: The Beaten Zone". Project Reality Forums. Project Reality. Retrieved 2013-01-17.
- "PR:Arma2 FAQs". Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- Project Reality: ARMA 2 v0.16 Release Announcement
- "Project Reality: Vietnam Update". Project Reality Forums. Retrieved April 21, 2010.
- "IGN Review". IGN. Retrieved 2007-03-10.
- "GameSpy Review". Gamespy. Retrieved 2007-03-10.
- "Mod DB Mod Hall of Fame". Mod DB. Retrieved 2014-11-08.
- "2008 Mod of the Year Awards - Winners". Mod DB. Retrieved 2014-11-08.
- "2008 Mod of the Year Awards - Best Multiplayer Mod". Mod DB. Retrieved 2014-11-08.
- "Mods of 2006". Mod DB. Retrieved 2014-11-08.
- "2007 Mod of the Year Awards". Mod DB. Retrieved 2014-11-08.
- "GameFlood Announces Winners of the $25,000 Mod and Map Making Contest". gamesindustry.biz. Retrieved 2014-11-08.
- "Total Gaming Network Best of 2007 Results". TGN. Retrieved 2014-11-08.
- "2010 Best Upcoming Mod of the Year Awards". Mod DB. Retrieved 2014-11-08.